Is formiculture down?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsOnTheCoast

Re: Is formiculture down?

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 am

Honestly, I never liked that forum. Hate to say it but the mods are literally toxic children haha. That's why I switched to AntsCanada.

YSTheAnt

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm

I think it's down again... Not working for me
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

Martialis

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 pm

AntsOnTheCoast wrote:
Honestly, I never liked that forum. Hate to say it but the mods are literally toxic children haha. That's why I switched to AntsCanada.
I think you've got that a bit backwards, sir.
Keeper of

Selliing:

nurbsants

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Martialis wrote:
AntsOnTheCoast wrote:
I am a regular on Formiculture and also the GAN farmer for LA.

Created this account just to +1 this comment.

PenguinAntKeeper

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

If its been down recently, if you have read Drew's (the owner) posts he has said he is doing maintenance and updates to the forum, hence it being down.
Hibernating: (all)

Parasitic Lasius:2

Founding:
Tetramorium Immigrans:2

Colonies:
Tetramorium Immigrans:1
Formica Spp:3

I'm new to ant keeping so my colonies are all still in test tubes. :roll: :?

YSTheAnt

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 am

nurbsants wrote:
Martialis wrote:
AntsOnTheCoast wrote:

I think both forums have great mods, just the community in formiculture is much more experienced, and, the mods are much less strict on it, for example, you can sell whatever you want, that's not AntsCanada, without being banned or warned on FC. Both are great though.
Keeper of:

YSTheAnt

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 am

I mean GAN project selling of ants only btw, I'm not sure if you can or can't sell other antkeeping supplies.
Keeper of:

Martialis

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 pm

YSTheAnt wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 am
nurbsants wrote:
Martialis wrote:

I think both forums have great mods, just the community in formiculture is much more experienced, and, the mods are much less strict on it, for example, you can sell whatever you want, that's not AntsCanada, without being banned or warned on FC. Both are great though.
AC's mods leniency isn't necessarily a good thing, either. Many of the posts here are so illegible without the presence of a grammar or coherency rule that they are indecipherable.

Why has the experience of a community that is open to assist people driven you to a less experienced one?
for example, you can sell whatever you want, that's not AntsCanada, without being banned or warned on FC.
I don't know what you mean anyone caught doing illegal trade or breaking the rules is warned. If it was unintentional, then they will be informed of the law. Besides, I bet at least some of the populace here probably participates in exotic ant trade but does not post about it.

As for formicariums, this forum's affiliation with AntsCanada allows for less open discussion of ant supply stores, and you even have to go through their company site to sell ants here. Imagine what it would be like if you weren't allowed to talk or post about cheaper, better made alternatives anywhere online.

Additionally, the two members who were arguing in your post were not mods. There was also a new drafted that requires members to put their location in any advertisements for selling ants clearly, as to avoid illegal activities.

Will you please explain your experience with the mods that made you leave that forum?
Keeper of

Selliing:

YSTheAnt

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am

Umm dude I like FC (formiculture) more, I think you misunderstood me. By saying you can sell stuff that's not AntsCanada on formiculture I meant that it is more open, because it isn't affiliated with AC.

Bottom line is that AntsCanada forums are managed by AntsCanada and therefore lean towards AntsCanada's wants, which is ok because they run the forums. On the other hand, formiculture is run by an individual who devotes so much time and energy into running it, and he keeps it clean and yet so open, with numerous pages of new ideas and formicariums for sale, which promotes creativity and experimentation within the antkeeping community. Trying out new designs and ideas is, imo, a big part of the hobby. And, as a user of both forums, I can definitely say that formiculture promotes this aspect if antkeeping much more than AntsCanada.

Simply stated, I much prefer formiculture over AntsCanada, and I think martialis misunderstood me.
Keeper of:

Martialis

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 am

YSTheAnt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am
Umm dude I like FC (formiculture) more, I think you misunderstood me. By saying you can sell stuff that's not AntsCanada on formiculture I meant that it is more open, because it isn't affiliated with AC.

Bottom line is that AntsCanada forums are managed by AntsCanada and therefore lean towards AntsCanada's wants, which is ok because they run the forums. On the other hand, formiculture is run by an individual who devotes so much time and energy into running it, and he keeps it clean and yet so open, with numerous pages of new ideas and formicariums for sale, which promotes creativity and experimentation within the antkeeping community. Trying out new designs and ideas is, imo, a big part of the hobby. And, as a user of both forums, I can definitely say that formiculture promotes this aspect if antkeeping much more than AntsCanada.

Simply stated, I much prefer formiculture over AntsCanada, and I think martialis misunderstood me.

Whoops! Sorry.
Keeper of

Selliing: