Harvester ants

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

TheTrumpster

Harvester ants

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey guys, I found an old tank I used to keep a pet lizard in, and i wanna turn it into an ant colony now. But i need a place to buy a queen harvester ant. I live in the California bay area and when i look online all i can find are workers, no queens. If anyone knows a place that sells queens it would be greatly appreciated.

Jadeninja9

Re: Harvester ants

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 pm

TheTrumpster wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm
Hey guys, I found an old tank I used to keep a pet lizard in, and i wanna turn it into an ant colony now. But i need a place to buy a queen harvester ant. I live in the California bay area and when i look online all i can find are workers, no queens. If anyone knows a place that sells queens it would be greatly appreciated.
The nearest person that sells harvester queens on the GAN project is in West Sacramento. He's selling 6 colonies of Pheidole californicus. You can buy them from him. I bought my Camponotus hyatti colony off him. He's a really nice guy. It's a 2-hour drive though.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

TheTrumpster

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:29 am

Do you know his address? And do i need a permit or anything to buy a queen? I saw something about needing a permit for buying queens

Serafine

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 am

You usually don't need a permit (there might be some exceptions, like red imported fire ants which are illegal to keep in California if you're outside the RIFA quarantine zone because they are highly invasive and destructive).
Harvester ants should be fine.
Jadeninja9 wrote:
The nearest person that sells harvester queens on the GAN project is in West Sacramento. He's selling 6 colonies of Pheidole californicus. You can buy them from him. I bought my Camponotus hyatti colony off him. He's a really nice guy. It's a 2-hour drive though.
I'm pretty sure you meant Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pheidole ants ants aren't harvesters (in fact they are hunters and only really react to live prey).

Jadeninja9

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Serafine wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 am
You usually don't need a permit (there might be some exceptions, like red imported fire ants which are illegal to keep in California if you're outside the RIFA quarantine zone because they are highly invasive and destructive).
Harvester ants should be fine.
Jadeninja9 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you meant Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pheidole ants ants aren't harvesters (in fact they are hunters and only really react to live prey).
Actually I did mean Pheidole. I swear I thought when I looked up the species it said that they were harvesters. I guess that 1 Apheanogaster colony is your only chance.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans