has anyone ever seen these? pretty interesting little guy.Image
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: snout nose weevil

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:00 pm

I love weevils!

So I heard that of all the species of animals humans have ever discovered, about half of them are insects, and half of those insects are beetles, which means nearly 25% of all the species we've ever discovered are beetles. I am sure a huge chunk these beetle species are weevils. Not sure how accurate all of this is, but if that's true, that is some amazing species diversity!

Great photo!
Ant Love Forever.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Yes I've seen them before. And they are pretty cool! I like beetles, kinda like a mini tank of sorts! :lol:
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:36 am

AntsCanada wrote:I love weevils!

So I heard that of all the species of animals humans have ever discovered, about half of them are insects, and half of those insects are beetles, which means nearly 25% of all the species we've ever discovered are beetles. I am sure a huge chunk these beetle species are weevils. Not sure how accurate all of this is, but if that's true, that is some amazing species diversity!

Great photo!
wow, i knew there were alot of beetle species, but i didnt think that many. 25% is big.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 am

any idea what they like to eat? im thinking of keeping him for a bit, to observe him.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 am

larynx wrote:any idea what they like to eat? im thinking of keeping him for a bit, to observe him.
Straight from the ORKIN site:

What Do Weevils Eat?
Weevils feed on plants in the larval stage and as adults. Some weevils can be very destructive to crops. For many years, one of the most destructive weevils was the cotton boll weevil. The black vine weevil, Otiorhychus sulcatus (F.), is found in many parts of the United States. It feeds on a variety of plants, including hemlocks and rhododendrons.

Most weevils are found in fields, gardens or orchards. A few weevils attack stored grains and seeds. They can be very destructive, and their damage is often very expensive. The most common stored product weevils are the rice weevil, Sitophilus oryzae (L.), the granary weevil, Sitophilus granarius (L.), and the cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus (F.).

I remember them as a kid they use to get into our food boxes in the cabinets. My Mom always got pissed!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:13 am

MadVampy wrote:
larynx wrote:any idea what they like to eat? im thinking of keeping him for a bit, to observe him.
Straight from the ORKIN site:

What Do Weevils Eat?
Weevils feed on plants in the larval stage and as adults. Some weevils can be very destructive to crops. For many years, one of the most destructive weevils was the cotton boll weevil. The black vine weevil, Otiorhychus sulcatus (F.), is found in many parts of the United States. It feeds on a variety of plants, including hemlocks and rhododendrons.

Most weevils are found in fields, gardens or orchards. A few weevils attack stored grains and seeds. They can be very destructive, and their damage is often very expensive. The most common stored product weevils are the rice weevil, Sitophilus oryzae (L.), the granary weevil, Sitophilus granarius (L.), and the cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus (F.).

I remember them as a kid they use to get into our food boxes in the cabinets. My Mom always got pissed!
glad i never had those in my cabinets. :o
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer