Formica Obscoripes

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Calebot7

Formica Obscoripes

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi everyone

I live in Oregon and there's a type of ant that I would like more information on; Formica Obscoripes. I read that after nuptial flight they go back to a satellite nest of their own kind
(supposedly) so what type of test tube setup should I have them in? I also need to know how they should have their formicaria and outworld after the founding process.

Thanks in advance

Caleb

Batspiderfish

Re: Formica Obscoripes

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Formica obscuripes is a species that likes to reproduce by budding or social parasitism. They stopped having their nuptial flights last month, sadly. There will be similar Formica flying in July.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Calebot7

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks

I'm willing to wait till next year and i know it'll be hard to find this specific species.

Calebot7

Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Do you know how wet they like it?

Caleb

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:09 pm

They will do fine with the general conditions that other ants enjoy. Formica are pretty easy to keep so long as they are not disturbed too often. They are very excitable, and it's rumored that Formica from the rufa group like F. obscuripes can kill themselves by spraying formic acid in their formicarium.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.