My First Species, Any Extra Tips For Me?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsTexas

My First Species, Any Extra Tips For Me?

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 pm

I have recently acquired a Camponotus sp. queen, and I think I'm ready to keep them. Their natural nest is done, I have crickets, roaches, mealworms, superworms, and various fruit/vegetables to feed them. Now I'm just waiting for them to get around 10 workers before I let them dig in the nest. Anybody have any tips specifically for Camponotus, or just some good things to know in general? (I know most of the required things, such as moisture, heating, diet, and housing. I'm just asking if anybody has any tips and tricks.) Thank you.
Keeper of:
Solenopsis invicta
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Pseudomyrmex gracilis x2
Crematogaster laeviuscula
Odontomachus haematodus

Looking for:
Pogonomrymex rugosus
Atta texana
Anything that isn't a fire ant...

Martialis

Re: My First Species, Any Extra Tips For Me?

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Many Camponotus species enjoy fruit as a sugary substance. My Camponotus cf. chromaiodes even goes as far to actually eat apple. Every week, I put a few pieces in and it is all basically gone by the next week. My ants are enjoying the ~80 degrees Fahrenheit I am keeping them at.

Since it is a natural nest, they'll be able to just dig their nest as they want it, so you could even introduce them now.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntsTexas

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:42 pm
Many Camponotus species enjoy fruit as a sugary substance. My Camponotus cf. chromaiodes even goes as far to actually eat apple. Every week, I put a few pieces in and it is all basically gone by the next week. My ants are enjoying the ~80 degrees Fahrenheit I am keeping them at.

Since it is a natural nest, they'll be able to just dig their nest as they want it, so you could even introduce them now.
Alright, will do. I haven't introduced them yet because the GAN Seller wants to keep the queen a little longer. He said that one worker died out of the two, and he wanted to make sure the colony could survive. He wants her to lay more eggs before he sells her to me, just in case.
Keeper of:
Solenopsis invicta
Pseudomyrmex gracilis x2
Odontomachus haematodus

Looking for:
Pogonomrymex rugosus
Atta texana

Serafine

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:25 am

You need patience. Camponotus are a bit on the slow side regarding brood development.

My Camponotus (barbaricus) absolutely love frozen spiders. They also like maple syrup.

AntsTexas

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 am

Serafine wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:25 am
You need patience. Camponotus are a bit on the slow side regarding brood development.

My Camponotus (barbaricus) absolutely love frozen spiders. They also like maple syrup.
Interesting. I'll try that out once they get larger.
Keeper of:
Solenopsis invicta
Pseudomyrmex gracilis x2
Odontomachus haematodus

Looking for:
Pogonomrymex rugosus
Atta texana