Unusual Species to Keep

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

TheFlynn01

Re: Unusual Species to Keep

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 am

Out of curiosity, do you all know of anyone, or seen anyone keep Paraponera clavata I know that might be a strange question to ask, but the idea of how someone would keep a colony so large and... potentially painful, seems very interesting haha!

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 am

Exotic =/= unusual. :)

I believe that even though the species is large and pack a painful sting, the colonies themselves don't grow out of control as with some ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

TheFlynn01

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Haha fair enough, it would be interesting to see... but as a new ant keeper, anything different than pavement ants seem very unusual or exotic to keep. After doing research with the help of the antweb, I have found that I could actually raise (if I can catch a queen) Myrmecocystus mexicanus!! which is just so cool! Would that count as unusual? Haha

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:06 pm

The apparent lack of diversity will fade as you learn to differentiate ants and explore different habitats. There are ants in your area which nobody has successfully reared before -- those should be much more interesting than somebody else's local ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

TheFlynn01

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:21 pm

Fair enough, I am looking forward to the experience. There is just something so fascinating about ants. I cant wait till I can start to notice all the differences between ants. What would you say is the most unusual species you have managed to keep?

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:43 pm

TheFlynn01 wrote:Fair enough, I am looking forward to the experience. There is just something so fascinating about ants. I cant wait till I can start to notice all the differences between ants. What would you say is the most unusual species you have managed to keep?

I really liked the Formica aserva (2:53) and Lasius umbratus (6:18) colonies that I raised. One of my Formica aserva queens was almost entirely black, which nobody had seen until then. I don't have them anymore, sadly, although I am trying to start up a bunch of new social parasite colonies.