Check this out: remove any queen from her nest

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Check this out: remove any queen from her nest

Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:44 pm

I've been looking for some kind of solution you can mix and it will not harm the queen or workers, but will issue a total evacuation order including the queen. This person made a solution of Lemon and water and poured a very little amount into the nest and it worked. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6RdY8iBNE

I'm gonna try it tonight or tomorrow for sure. But the entire process from start to finish took 5 minutes for the queen herself to finally exit. Amazing.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Serafine

Re: Check this out: remove any queen from her nest

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:04 pm

That test doesn't really tell anything. These could very well be tropical ants that are used to quickly relocate a nest when flooding occurs. I doubt ants from more temperate regions will react in a similar way.

Batspiderfish

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Citronellal is an alarm pheromone for many ants, so i wouldn't be surprised if the small amounts found in lemon oil could illicit a panic response. Not that I think capturing mature colonies is a good idea.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Barfdog

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Serafine wrote:That test doesn't really tell anything. These could very well be tropical ants that are used to quickly relocate a nest when flooding occurs. I doubt ants from more temperate regions will react in a similar way.

Yeah and during the video you'll notice their nest is in a concrete looking section so I assume it doesn't evaporate water well or moisturize anything so it became a quicker problem. I doubt it would work on any old colony in the dirt or dry regions. The dirt would just absorb most of it. I'll see if it actually works on a small colony if I can find one.
Keeper of:

Barfdog

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Yeah... totally didn't work. Tried it on multiple nests over a couple of days. :lol:
Keeper of:

Nathant

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:37 am

Barfdog wrote:Yeah... totally didn't work. Tried it on multiple nests over a couple of days. :lol:
Aww that's too bad. Were they on nests in dirt and/or sand? I'll try it on some concrete nests or nests in the road next spring if so.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Martialis

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:17 pm

It's the water.. The ants are Pheidole megacephala, an invasive species to areas like California in the U.S.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Barfdog

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Nathant wrote:
Barfdog wrote:Yeah... totally didn't work. Tried it on multiple nests over a couple of days. :lol:
Aww that's too bad. Were they on nests in dirt and/or sand? I'll try it on some concrete nests or nests in the road next spring if so.
I tried it on a few alleged tetramorium nests on both concrete and in dirt and some a mixture of both. I really wanted to try it on a fire ant colony and see if they would move out but I haven't been able to find one.
Keeper of: