Is my queen ant dead?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Antcrisp

Is my queen ant dead?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:56 am

I was able to get Lasius neoniger queen but shes not moving is she dead? Shes not moving at all,i don't think she's hibernating since is still around 70's where i live.

https://imgur.com/a/mIQYf

Sorry for the blurry pic,it was taken with cell phone i do not have camers.

Batspiderfish

Re: Is my queen ant dead?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:57 am

Looks dead to me, but I can't tell if she is stuck to the ceiling of the tube. If those drops of liquid are food, that's way to much. She shouldn't need to eat at all.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Antcrisp

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:26 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Looks dead to me, but I can't tell if she is stuck to the ceiling of the tube. If those drops of liquid are food, that's way to much. She shouldn't need to eat at all.
Yea shes stick to the ceiling. No is water

Batspiderfish

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Was the water put in there? The humidity from the wet cotton bung in a test tube setup is all a queen needs. It looks like she might have drowned.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Serafine

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Take out the food (not needed), use a cotton stick to remove the water from the queen, put the test tube somewhere warm (not too hot though) and wait. Ants can survive surprisingly long under water and maybe she might actually come back to life. She's probably dead but who knows (one of my Solenopsis queens looked like that - she was actually lying in a pond of water that had leaked from the cotton - and after cleaning her gently she actually went back up after a while).

Antcrisp

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 am

Serafine wrote:Take out the food (not needed), use a cotton stick to remove the water from the queen, put the test tube somewhere warm (not too hot though) and wait. Ants can survive surprisingly long under water and maybe she might actually come back to life. She's probably dead but who knows (one of my Solenopsis queens looked like that - she was actually lying in a pond of water that had leaked from the cotton - and after cleaning her gently she actually went back up after a while).
Its been 4 days and still nothing. Im sure she's dead,my first queen ant and she die's now i have to wait for spring :(

AntsMclama

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Keep waiting! I read someone's post in here before mention how they went weeks until their queen showed life again after drowning. She most likely is dead but don't give up hope!

AntsAntsAnts

Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:11 am

I thought my pavement ant queen was dead... until it came back to life...Do they play dead?
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SYUTEO

Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:57 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:11 am
I thought my pavement ant queen was dead... until it came back to life...Do they play dead?
I think some species do.

AntsAntsAnts

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:25 pm

Ok. Thanks.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)