Wasp wannabe ant!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

ScaryBuh

Wasp wannabe ant!

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:07 am

Hey there,

While looking for ants I found this funny wasp digging a hole like it was an ant, of course I started filming it.

Lately I did my research and found those are dangerous! If we get stung by one of those we should seek medical attention, they are Ground Digger Wasps (Cicada Killers).

Careful with these guys when searching for queen ants, they do their hole almost like a claustral cell (little pile of dirt and a little hole)

JPSMedeiros

Re: Wasp wannabe ant!

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:45 am

Never mess with wasps hahaha. Were I live I've seen wasps digging in the ground but to hunt spiders to eat, I think that wasps make nests in trees.

AntLove5Ever

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 am

So, this is a guess, based off nothing more than my limited entomology knowledge. They are called "cicada killers"
Cicadas live in the ground while larval, and dig up to mate and lay eggs in the ground. He might be digging to find cicadas and eat them. Maybe he isn't digging to start a colony.

JohnyDL

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Wasps will live underground, I found a wasp nest that had moved into an abandoned rabbit warren once, bad bad day :( My clumsy foot went into the hole and into the nursery while I was paying attention to more pressing matters like getting a ball out from a tree.