This will probably be the first post in heated ant debates XD

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntLove5Ever

This will probably be the first post in heated ant debates XD

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:08 pm

So, my friend got back from vacation and had a queen in his shoes that were in his suitcase. I was able to identify it for him as a trap jaw ant. He was going to kill it but I told him killing a queen is like killing thousands of ants because she would have had a whole colony, and he obviously can't release it, because the whole invasive species, his parents heard about it and are fine with him keeping the colony as a pet, but he is really anxious to pawn the colony off on me. I would love it, but it is in a different state, so I don't want to live the wanted life XD. What course of action would you guys take, and why? Personally I would keep the colony and just let it grow to as big as it can (then again trap jaws are my favorite type of ant so I would obviously love a super colony) Let me know what you guys think.

(also I have no idea as to how it got in his shoe, or if it is even nuptial flight time, but he snapchatted me the pictures, and it was DEFINITELY a queen. No mistaking it, it had wings on. and the signature 180 degree mandibles)

AntMomo

Re: This will probably be the first post in heated ant debates XD

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Gosh this is a toughie, it really does feel like a waste to kill a queen who's been on quite the adventure like that... but still the legality and ecological stuff is at stake! I certainly wouldn't be comfortable keeping a species so far from its home.

How far away was the vacation? Where was it from and where was it brought to? Though I guess I doubt there'd be a way to bring her back where she came from.... killing it just seems cruel though! Man.

Martialis

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:24 pm

AntLove5Ever wrote:So, my friend got back from vacation and had a queen in his shoes that were in his suitcase. I was able to identify it for him as a trap jaw ant. He was going to kill it but I told him killing a queen is like killing thousands of ants because she would have had a whole colony, and he obviously can't release it, because the whole invasive species, his parents heard about it and are fine with him keeping the colony as a pet, but he is really anxious to pawn the colony off on me. I would love it, but it is in a different state, so I don't want to live the wanted life XD. What course of action would you guys take, and why? Personally I would keep the colony and just let it grow to as big as it can (then again trap jaws are my favorite type of ant so I would obviously love a super colony) Let me know what you guys think.

(also I have no idea as to how it got in his shoe, or if it is even nuptial flight time, but he snapchatted me the pictures, and it was DEFINITELY a queen. No mistaking it, it had wings on. and the signature 180 degree mandibles)
AntLove5Ever wrote:So, my friend got back from vacation and had a queen in his shoes that were in his suitcase. I was able to identify it for him as a trap jaw ant. He was going to kill it but I told him killing a queen is like killing thousands of ants because she would have had a whole colony, and he obviously can't release it, because the whole invasive species, his parents heard about it and are fine with him keeping the colony as a pet, but he is really anxious to pawn the colony off on me. I would love it, but it is in a different state, so I don't want to live the wanted life XD. What course of action would you guys take, and why? Personally I would keep the colony and just let it grow to as big as it can (then again trap jaws are my favorite type of ant so I would obviously love a super colony) Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant-health/videos/epermits/presentation2/index.shtml Here's a link to a liscense you can get to get the permit required to get her.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:25 pm

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant-health/videos/epermits/presentation2/index.shtml Here's a link to a liscense you can get to get the permit required to get her.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Durant wrote:
I live in Alabama and we have native trap jaws here so I would be happy if u could give me ur friend's contact info so I could get her... These r my dream spp
I asked them about it but they said that they wouldn't be comfortable with me giving anyone their info sorry :(

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Durant wrote:Tell them my email is yoonwon.joseph.kim@gmail.com
Ok.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:14 pm

They said they emailed you.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Ok, so, this was smuggling. It might not have been intentional, but it's never acceptable for somebody to transport an exotic species just because they say that they "didn't notice it". I am not implying that this friend was lying, but if we are accepting of this, we are condoning anybody who wants to be dishonest about the illegal importation of ants.

Also, do not break the law again by transporting this queen across state lines again. The queen stays in the state where it is, dead or alive.

Nobody here is going to make your friend destroy this queen, but I would encourage them not to publicize this colony, as cool as it might be to them. We don't want people illegally transporting ants under guise of a happy accident. The law wouldn't take that into account, and neither should we.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:22 pm

So note he said that his family put it in their yard sorry bout that durant.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Ok, so, this was smuggling. It might not have been intentional, but it's never acceptable for somebody to transport an exotic species just because they say that they "didn't notice it". I am not implying that this friend was lying, but if we are accepting of this, we are condoning anybody who wants to be dishonest about the illegal importation of ants.

Also, do not break the law again by transporting this queen across state lines again. The queen stays in the state where it is, dead or alive.

Nobody here is going to make your friend destroy this queen, but I would encourage them not to publicize this colony, as cool as it might be to them. We don't want people illegally transporting ants under guise of a happy accident. The law wouldn't take that into account, and neither should we.
He just told me his parents released it, and he thinks their pest control will kill it. (if you ask me I think he squished it and doesn't want to tell me.

UPDATE I just asked him and he said he did squish it. I told him about it being illegal and he freaked out.
Last edited by AntLove5Ever on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.