Funniest or craziest things you've seen ants do

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

dinoman9877

Funniest or craziest things you've seen ants do

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Share the most entertaining things you have seen ants do, whether it be within your colonies or out in the wild!

I'll start off! One time, when I was younger, I was watching some ants go about their day. It wasn't long till I saw a pillbug, or roly poly, or whatever you want to call them, show up. Now, being I was a little kid and entertained by dumbness, I poked the roly poly with a twig and watched with amusement as it curled up.

Then what happened next blew my mind. An ant walked up to the roly poly, touched it with its antennae, then just grabbed it and carried it away.

The ant captured the roly poly ALIVE! And just carried it away without so much as a second thought! I don't know what became of the roly poly as it and its captor disappeared into the grass, but I can assume it didn't end well.

GriffinAnt

Re: Funniest or craziest things you've seen ants do

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:36 am

ok i was watching my lasius nigers the other day when i watch this one worker in the outworld move some grains of sand about 1 cm away, no reason i could see to do it it just did it. she did 4 trips then legged it back into the nest. bonkers maybe was praticing ?

AntLove5Ever

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:31 pm

I once saw a queen take her larvae from the test tube into the outworld and back (she's semiclaustral) about 6 times in about 5 minutes until she settled down and put them back in the tube for good.

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Part of my ant's nest is in the sunlight, and part of it is covered with tape. The workers hide their brood in the covered container in the day, and bring them out at night. This repeats over and over, day after day, and the ants seem like they don't expect it each time when my garage door opens.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:45 pm

A Camponotus super major bit me and it didn't even hurt.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:46 pm

2 Lasius workers were having a tug of war over a larvae for a few seconds.