Just had to post this.......

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Austheboss

Just had to post this.......

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:06 pm

I keep laughing whenever I think about this, idk why....
So maybe 20 minutes ago I wanted to look at my ants, so I removed the sleeve covering them, and they were (still) relocating brood because they needed to push some chunks of dirt that was in there to the front where I clean up, and I saw one bringing the dirt to the front, and one relocating brood, and then the one relocating the brood suddenly just goes up to the honey that's in there and just sticks a pupa on it. For literally no reason. And then, realizing it's mistake, goes to take the pupa off but can't because it stuck too well. So I had to wipe most of the honey out, and the dirt with it, so the worker could finally get it off.

So yah. *facepalm*
If anyone knows why this happened please tell me why this happened, because, just why! Why would you do that! :lol: Just makes no sense but for some reason just so funny. :roll: BTW the pupa is fine.
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

idahoantgirl

Re: Just had to post this.......

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:14 pm

why do you sometimes accidentally walk into a wall? :D I guess ants make mistakes too! It's not like their perfect little robots I guess ;)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AnthonyP163

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Austheboss wrote:I keep laughing whenever I think about this, idk why....
So maybe 20 minutes ago I wanted to look at my ants, so I removed the sleeve covering them, and they were (still) relocating brood because they needed to push some chunks of dirt that was in there to the front where I clean up, and I saw one bringing the dirt to the front, and one relocating brood, and then the one relocating the brood suddenly just goes up to the honey that's in there and just sticks a pupa on it. For literally no reason. And then, realizing it's mistake, goes to take the pupa off but can't because it stuck too well. So I had to wipe most of the honey out, and the dirt with it, so the worker could finally get it off.

So yah. *facepalm*
If anyone knows why this happened please tell me why this happened, because, just why! Why would you do that! :lol: Just makes no sense but for some reason just so funny. :roll: BTW the pupa is fine.
Sometimes they carry Nanitics to honey sources ( this species at least, I'm pretty sure your talking about Tetramorium) so that pupa must be close to being a new worker, and the other worker probably just got confuzzled.

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:45 am

AnthonyP163 wrote:
Austheboss wrote:I keep laughing whenever I think about this, idk why....

So yah. *facepalm*
Sometimes they carry Nanitics to honey sources ( this species at least, I'm pretty sure your talking about Tetramorium) so that pupa must be close to being a new worker, and the other worker probably just got confuzzled.
Yes, it was tetramorium.
I don't think it was a nanitic yet because it wasn't turning colors, but that could still be right. I fed them some sesame seeds yesterday and I think they liked it. They also finished moving most of the big dirt clumps to the front. I expect to see some workers arrive in the next week or so.

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:52 am

idahoantgirl wrote:why do you sometimes accidentally walk into a wall? :D I guess ants make mistakes too! It's not like their perfect little robots I guess ;)
True, but sometimes I feel like ants are smarter and more hard working than me (one single ant). I bet the ant freaked out after that mistake, because think about relative sizes, the ant was only a 1/5 the size of the honey glob!
The ants are doing fine now though.

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 am

Austheboss wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:why do you sometimes accidentally walk into a wall? :D I guess ants make mistakes too! It's not like their perfect little robots I guess ;)
True, but sometimes I feel like ants are smarter and more hard working than me (one single ant). I bet the ant freaked out after that mistake, because think about relative sizes, the ant was only a 1/5 the size of the honey glob!
The ants are doing fine now though.
thats so funny! The brood was probably like "Dude! you just submerged my in a big mountain of honey, man! Why did you do that?" :lol:
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:14 am

[quote="idahoantgirl"][/quote]
thats so funny! The brood was probably like "Dude! you just submerged my in a big mountain of honey, man! Why did you do that?" :lol:
Exactly, that's why I thought it was so funny. The pupa cant even move and suddenly it was like "weeeeeeee*plop*" I hope it got it's honey fix :lol: