Is there supposed to be instructions on how to build the omni nest XL out world??

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Omni Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

RangerRob

Is there supposed to be instructions on how to build the omni nest XL out world??

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:27 am

I don't know if im just really dumb or what? But i just received my omni nest XL, and all it came with was the pieces to the out world, and a bottle of glue. Im not really sure how to go about with the construction of it? i looked through all the packaging over and over and no instructions where found for it. The main problem is its super hard to hold together and the shapes are hard to figure out on which way they need to face. ive tried using the pre built lid as reference but haven't started any gluing yet. any advise, videos, or downloadable instructions out there? I also bought a hybrid nest which came with a slip that says download the instructions online. but nothing for the DIY omni nest out world, so if any one could help, would sure appreciate :)

Carl75

Re: Is there supposed to be instructions on how to build the omni nest XL out world??

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:58 am

The out world base has a hole that has to match the hole in the nest (it will be the same size as the lid. Two smaller parts are the same size as the shortest side of the lid and base and the two other pieces should be as wide as the nest, out world base and lid (longest side).

Have a look at how it should look when finished. There are videos on you tube from AntsCanada.

larynx

Re: Is there supposed to be instructions on how to build the omni nest XL out world??

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:48 pm

should be able to get info from antcanada site.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:45 pm

If it's like the hybrid nest there should have been a piece of paper with a web link to the PDF file that shows how to put it together. Not sure beings I haven't gotten one of the Omni nests yet.

I have emailed one of the owners of AntsCanada to see if I can get a link to it. I'll let ya know if I find out.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

RangerRob

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:14 pm

MadVampy wrote:If it's like the hybrid nest there should have been a piece of paper with a web link to the PDF file that shows how to put it together. Not sure beings I haven't gotten one of the Omni nests yet.

I have emailed one of the owners of AntsCanada to see if I can get a link to it. I'll let ya know if I find out.
Thank you MadVampy very much appriciated. I've held off on assembling it until I find out more. To pricey of an item to mess up on lol :)

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:17 am

Sorry for the delayed response, but yes, you will need to super glue the 5 pieces of the outworld together with the help of a little bit of tape to set it in place. Actually, to be honest, what's even better is if you buy an acrylic critter crawler from your local pet store and use that as an outworld. You will need to create a hole to connect tubing between this critter crawler to your formicarium. Most experienced ant keepers using the Omni nests never use the outworlds, as they prefer to provide a larger area for foraging, as well as tailor and create their own.

The reason we recommend this to our customers is because the outworld which comes with your Omni Nest is the perfect size for a starting to intermediate-sized colony, but as they grow bigger, you will find that your colony will need more outworld space and they will start treating that outworld like a giant room.

If you do give them a bigger outworld your ants will thank you for all the space, and you can do this even while the colony is small. It is what I do in all my Youtube videos where I am housing a large colony in an Omni Nest. I also find viewing to be better as you can see the upper portion of the nest, which usually would sit under the outworld box. most of our customers like to making the outworld naturalistic, and here is our tutorial on making an outworld yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JIp0LLhH30

As a general rule in ant keeping, the bigger the outworld, the better.
Ant Love Forever.