Tubes don't fit?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Omni Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

wolfwhowanders

Tubes don't fit?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I just got my omni nest all-you-can-eat package, and the tubes I was sent don't fit snug into the omni nest. The big tubes won't fit and the small tubes are so loose even the ants could push them out. Do I have to hot glue them in? Sorta defeats the purpose doesn't it?

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Tubes don't fit?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 pm

I have that problem with the Hybrid Nest V2 series and come to find out they are made to fit specific test tubes I guess you could say. The test tubes that I have fit perfect in the V1 series but not V2. They are pretty much the test tubes that you buy from their store as well. I don't have an Omni Nest yet but I do plan on getting one or a few :-). It is nice to know this bit of information before hand
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 pm

wolfwhowanders wrote:
I just got my omni nest all-you-can-eat package, and the tubes I was sent don't fit snug into the omni nest. The big tubes won't fit and the small tubes are so loose even the ants could push them out. Do I have to hot glue them in? Sorta defeats the purpose doesn't it?
When you say "tubes", I believe you are referring to the poly tubing not the test tubes correct? The test tubes were never meant to fit into the Omni Nest product line. The Hybrid Nest product line has been specifically designed to have nice snug fits with the poly tubing and test tubes themselves. The Omni line has been around a lot longer and comes from a different source than the Hybrid line. I personally don't have much experience keeping ants with the Omni products. Perhaps Mikey can shed some light on how he connects tubing to them. I'll ping him and find out...
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 pm
I have that problem with the Hybrid Nest V2 series and come to find out they are made to fit specific test tubes I guess you could say. The test tubes that I have fit perfect in the V1 series but not V2. They are pretty much the test tubes that you buy from their store as well. I don't have an Omni Nest yet but I do plan on getting one or a few :-). It is nice to know this bit of information before hand
Yes there was a problem with V1 and V2. During our transition to V2, our test tube supplier changed sizes on us without our knowing. We changed suppliers and are confident that we won't have incompatibilities between the various pieces of ant keeping equipment and test tubes now.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:13 am

wolfwhowanders wrote:
You can fix them with silicone glue. Just do it without the ants inside and let it dry for 2-3 days before you introduce the ants to it. Silicone glue needs some time to dry out, also store it in a room you don't need to visit too often because drying silicone glue smells like vinegar.

wolfwhowanders

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:28 am

Yeah, I meant the poly tubing. Not too big of a problem. I just glued in a small length of tube to each opening. Now I can slide a larger polytube over them when I need to connect to anything.