Tubing size

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Omni Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Tubing size

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:45 pm

The tubes and holes of the Omni Nests are 1 cm in diameter. The Hybrid Nests take two sizes 0.285” (Test tube diameter) and 1 cm tubing.

I think aquarium UV bulbs are ok for ants in their outworld. Not sure how they affect ants within a nest, though. I prefer to keep my ants in the nest in the dark.

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Well I have had scorpions as pets also and though it's cool to use UV because they glow under UV I've done many hours of research and found that prolonged UV can be detrimental to your pets eyesight. All eyes are subject to the full wave length of the light spectrum but prolonged exposure to any one in specific can be bad.

Using a UV light ever so often isn't a bad thing, I would just not leave it on at all times. If your using it to try and view your ants with out disturbing them it's best to try something in the red spectrum. Also try using LED lighting, it's energy efficient and also really doesn't put too much heat out at all. I've read that people have tried red lighting and it doesn't seem to bother them and I've also read that certain species don't like it. So best to try it with your ants and if they don't go into the frenzy defense mode and just chill like nothings happening then your good to go.

Hope that helps!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:09 am

Ender210 wrote:Currently I'm being processed to be a GAN host, I've provided proof of residence and agreed to the GAN host agreement. If everything works out, I'll be adopting a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen. I've read that this species is big. Would the Omni-nest small be too cramped for this species, or will they quickly out grow the Omni-nest small?
Oh, the Omni Nest Small will last the colony at least a year (including the hibernation period when growth stops for 2-3 months). Many, many ants can fit in the Omni Nest Small. I think people become surprised when they see how many ants it can actually fit.

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.