Identification of queen and unrelated colony

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MCWren

Identification of queen and unrelated colony

Tue May 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first forum post here. Anyway, I recently caught my second queen (the first one died) and I have absolutely no idea what species she is. I caught her in early May in New York state. She is pretty small, around 5 millimeters, and she has already laid about 4 very tiny eggs, which I first noticed while measuring her for this post! Please help me with the identification.

Now for part 2:
Yesterday, while looking around for ant colonies, I lifted up a planter on my patio, and I found a mature colony of very tiny ants, complete with around 40 alates. I had seen this species of ant many times around my property since I have been interested in ants (last year), but I've never been able to locate any of their nests until now. They always seem to hang out near the Tetramorium sp. e colonies in my yard. By the way, I decided to release that queen ant her workers back to the colony, because I wanted larger ants (although my current queen might be the same species). I didn't measure the workers, but they were probably about 2 mm long. The test tube has a diameter of 16 mm. Thank you for helping me identify them:

AntsRule

Re: Identification of queen and unrelated colony

Tue May 17, 2016 8:50 pm

You need a better pic of the queen. I know it is hard without a good camera but they sell ones that attach to a phone camera for pretty cheap. Those take okay pictures but good enough. :D Don't know the colony species.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MCWren

Tue May 17, 2016 10:58 pm

I think the problem is that the queen is in a plastic test tube that isn't very clear. Aside from opening the test tube, I don't think there's a way around that.

MCWren

Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 am

I do have a better camera. Would it be advisable to remove the cotton ball to take a better picture of the queen, or would it disturb her too much? The camera lens might be too big for the inside of the test tube, but my phone camera might fit.

AntsRule

Wed May 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Don't remove the cotton ball. Only look at the queen every month or so or she will eat her eggs or not lay at all. I no it is tempting but its for the best. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.