I want to start

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Antamannox

I want to start

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:32 pm

I want to start an ant colony and this will be my first. I live in the northwest Indiana area. What queen ants can I find out here to start one. Also any tips would help a lot. I am going to buy one of the hybrid nests with a little money I have saved up.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: I want to start

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:06 pm

You are going to have a lot of fun starting your first ant colony! Five common species you will be able to find in Indiana are Camponotus (carpenter ants), Formica (field ants), Crematogaster, Ponera, and Temnothorax.

If you want to collect your own queens, you will have to wait until Spring arrives next year. If you collect several, you may consider joining the GAN Project http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/. We don't have any GAN Farmers in Indiana yet.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Antamannox

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:21 pm

ooper01 wrote:You are going to have a lot of fun starting your first ant colony! Five common species you will be able to find in Indiana are Camponotus (carpenter ants), Formica (field ants), Crematogaster, Ponera, and Temnothorax.

If you want to collect your own queens, you will have to wait until Spring arrives next year. If you collect several, you may consider joining the GAN Project http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/. We don't have any GAN Farmers in Indiana yet.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thankyou, I am either going with crematogaster and or camponotus. Any suggestion on a good sutup for one of them?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Our Camponotus Hybrid nest would work well for the Camponotus ants. Our Formica Hybrid would work well for the Crematogastor ants.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

hyenadog

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:40 pm

You could also check out the Omni-nest! I am starting this spring too and I'm using a large Omni-nest for my Formica. I think they will like it. :lol:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:42 pm

hyenadog wrote:You could also check out the Omni-nest! I am starting this spring too and I'm using a large Omni-nest for my Formica. I think they will like it. :lol:
Definitely worth considering the OmniNest as well. It is a great general-purpose formicarium.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Antamannox

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:30 pm

ooper01 wrote:
hyenadog wrote:You could also check out the Omni-nest! I am starting this spring too and I'm using a large Omni-nest for my Formica. I think they will like it. :lol:
Definitely worth considering the OmniNest as well. It is a great general-purpose formicarium.
Thanks for the advice guys. Also which kind dont sting or bite too hard? One more thing has anyone ever made a bulldog or army ant colony nest?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Antamannox wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Also which kind dont sting or bite too hard? One more thing has anyone ever made a bulldog or army ant colony nest?
The issue with "Army Ant's" is they don't really ever construct permanent nests. They are always on the move, consuming an area as they move and that is why they always move. There is multi species that are considered "Army Ants".

Here is a WiKi link explaining Army Ants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_ant
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

hyenadog

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:41 pm

Antamannox wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
I am still doing research myself on different types of ants and what aggressive capabilities they have. Army ants are terrifying and haunt my nightmares.. As far as I can tell Formica species don't sting but certain species can spray acid on other insects to help kill them, as for biting Formica aren't that impressive. Surgical gloves would protect you. As for Camponotus I have yet to encounter a species up here in Montana that stings, however their bite can be painful, I had one bite me on the top of my foot when I was wearing sandals. Ouch. Hope this helps.