Help me taking care of my Myrmicocrypta

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Minjares45

Help me taking care of my Myrmicocrypta

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 pm

I just found two queens of Myrmicocrypta and I haven’t found information about its cares in any part I just know it make a fungus grow. Atta and acromyrmex need leaves for their fungus to grow, but what does this queen needs in order to grow her fungus. Thanks.

Minjares45

Re: Help me taking care of my Myrmicocrypta

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Please

Wardword

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:42 am

Minjares45 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 pm
I just found two queens of Myrmicocrypta and I haven’t found information about its cares in any part I just know it make a fungus grow. Atta and acromyrmex need leaves for their fungus to grow, but what does this queen needs in order to grow her fungus. Thanks.
I believe they are fully claustral, based on the size of their gaster and the info I have found. Which means she requires no food until her 1st round of workers brings it to her.

From wiki.
Correct spelling Myrmicocryptage, try googling that instead.

Winged females and males leave their respective nests en masse and engage in a nuptial flight known as the revoada. Each female mates with multiple males to collect the 300 million **** she needs to set up a colony.[6]

Once on the ground, the female loses her wings and searches for a suitable underground lair in which to found her colony. The success rate of these young queens is very low, and only 2.5% will go on to establish a long-lived colony. To start her own fungus garden, the queen stores bits of the parental fungus garden mycelium in her infrabuccal pocket, which is located within her oral cavity.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am

I would not assume she is claustral. When fungus growers don't gather plants, they usually gather herbivorous insect droppings like those from caterpillars.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.