Please help! Strange ant like creature near Lasius Niger nest.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Hunter36o

Please help! Strange ant like creature near Lasius Niger nest.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 am

Okay fist I would like to say sorry as the bugger i am about to discuss hit seconds before I could take a picture. But okay, to start I have a set area I like to take my smoke breaks as I get to ant watch on a local wild Lasius Niger colony. Today about 20 minutes ago I spotted what I first though was a male alate and I was about to get excited thinking some queens could soon emerge and I can catch a queen even while at work! But after a closer look the abdomen was blood red! And after taking out my phone to take a picture ( again i am sorry i failed to take the picture ]: ) i noticed a needle like thing coming straight out from his/ her abdomen maybe a stinger of sorts? I honestly do not know and when i look up niger males none have the blood red arse on them. It was be no more the 4-5mm and had a small head which it why i first assumed it was a male alate. I live in Dublin Ireland and my works location is Clondalkin Dublin 22. I know with out a picture this is almost useless information but if someone has an idea of any insect that resembles this description so i can tey track an image online that would be great. And if it actually is a male alate then yay they are emerging earlier then expected this year. If you need more information that I did not realise was needed let me know as this has now been burnt into my memory as I got a small fear that some wild workers are in danger.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: Please help! Strange ant like creature near Lasius Niger nest.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 am

Okay if people could help me on this that would be great as I am done looking this up on the internet because it has taken me to some dark places.... I will never sleep in peace again....
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: Please help! Strange ant like creature near Lasius Niger nest.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Ah okay will do thank you however think this little dude or dudet had wings. That is why I at first glance though it could have been an early sign of male alates. But I will check this info out and i will update even anything comes up.