Picky Lasius Niger Colony

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Champ114

Picky Lasius Niger Colony

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 pm

My lasius niger of two workers and like 20 eggs with some brood wont eat anything i give them for example i gave them a half dead grasshopper with a drop of honey, they went for the honey but not the grasshopper. Soo i’ve just been feeding them honey which i think is not enough for them.

Any ideas on what i could possible feed them?

NYAnts11

Re: Picky Lasius Niger Colony

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 am

Ants will usually eat only what they need, and save the rest for later. L. Niger are pretty picky, there's a website I found that says their likes and dislikes. To include, alot of people has the assumption that they eat a lot, and for a small colony that you have, I would guess that you possibly might be over feeding them?
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am

No Lasius niger in Tennessee.

Small ants love small insects like Drosophila "fruit flies".
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntDudeUSA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:

Hello I don't mean to start a argument or anything and I am positive that you know ants a lot more than I do however I have been looking into that and on AntMaps it says that L. Niger have been found in many parts of the eastern US due to plants being brought over from Europe and them being introduced. I am aware of Lasius Alienus which are very similar but they (AntMaps) make a clear distinction between the two, they even have pictures of the L. Niger which are identical to the European specimens
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Hello I don't mean to start a argument or anything and I am positive that you know ants a lot more than I do however I have been looking into that and on AntMaps it says that L. Niger have been found in many parts of the eastern US due to plants being brought over from Europe and them being introduced. I am aware of Lasius Alienus which are very similar but they (AntMaps) make a clear distinction between the two, they even have pictures of the L. Niger which are identical to the European specimens
Lasius niger in the U.S. is understudied because populations are so few and isolated that they are rarely found. It is also easy to mistaken them. Antmaps and Antweb are great database resources, but they occasionally contradict the research done by local ecologists, particularly in the case of ants which are hard to identify. They should be taken with a grain of salt.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antnest8

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:29 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm
AntDudeUSA wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Lasius niger in the U.S. is understudied because populations are so few and isolated that they are rarely found. It is also easy to mistaken them. Antmaps and Antweb are great database resources, but they occasionally contradict the research done by local ecologists, particularly in the case of ants which are hard to identify. They should be taken with a grain of salt.
You know BatSpiderFish you might as well keep the phrase "There is no lasius niger in north america and yes i know antmaps says it is but they are sometimes wrong" always copyed and pasted when you get on the the forums :D :lol: :lol: :D
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:04 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:29 am
You know BatSpiderFish you might as well keep the phrase "There is no lasius niger in north america and yes i know antmaps says it is but they are sometimes wrong" always copyed and pasted when you get on the the forums :D :lol: :lol: :D
Yeah. I understand where people are coming from. AntsCanada has no myrmecologists associated with it to straighten these things out and online resources become the most authoritative hubs of information. Even I find myself relying on Antmaps and Antweb, which might occasionally lead me to make a mistake, but I happen to know a thing or two about the ants on my continent.