Which ant species is this?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

miquintero10

Which ant species is this?

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Does anybody knows which ant species is this?

It has been on the test tube for more than a month. Is it normal os is there a problem?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Which ant species is this?

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:19 pm

A couple of things
#1 some species can take a bit before laying eggs
#2 depending on the species (I dont know all the ant species) a northern ant may have to hibernate before they will lay eggs (from what others have said)
#3 in that picture is that water inside the main area with the ant? If so I think you pushed the cotton too far into the water causing it to soak thru, instead you just want the cotton at the water end to be come damp not totally soaked. This may be a reason she hasn't done anything (the founding chamber is too wet), the whole test tube as a founding chamber will only work if she thinks its real and she feels comfortable in there. Is she spending most of her time at the dry end? That may be a sign she's not happy with it and won't do any thing.
#4 are you storing her in compleat darkness, not messing with her at all? If your taking her out every dayand looking at her she will never feel "at home" and will refuse to lay eggs.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

miquintero10

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks.

No, I have kept the chamber really clean and in complete darkness, what you see there is some honey I put today because I thought she was hungry. Surely I have to clean it now.

I have made some research and I think this is a class of pheidole, do you know how much time do I have to wait until those eggs hatch, because those white things have been there for over 4 weeks.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:12 pm

miquintero10 wrote:Thanks.

No, I have kept the chamber really clean and in complete darkness, what you see there is some honey I put today because I thought she was hungry. Surely I have to clean it now.

I have made some research and I think this is a class of pheidole, do you know how much time do I have to wait until those eggs hatch, because those white things have been there for over 4 weeks.
Ok good on that not being water. And I thought those were eggs but I wasn't sure. To be honest everything I have read and seen points to a few things. The species specific length of time for them to hatch, the conditions (some prefer very humid warm, others don't) in the founding chamber. Hopefully someone who has more info will chime in. I know out of 14 solenopsis queens all have laid eggs (the newest ones have only been in the tubes for 8 days) I also have four that have now been in the tubes for 4 weeks and in another week I'll peek in and see how the brood are doing.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: