Extra virgin olive oil

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Jinjernut

Extra virgin olive oil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Does anyone have any experience using olive oil as a containment barrier for larger colonys, i love the idea of an invisible barrier but i'm not sure how effective it is in comparison to other methods such as baby powder, fluon or vasaline, i am currently using a 2-3cm water moat in the form of a baking tray under the 20cm by 30cm plastic aquarium with soil that i keep my minions in, i have started using olive oil alongside the moat and i haven't noticed any ants passing the barrier, they do not fall from it they just seem to avoid climbing where it has been rubbed, i want to remove the moat but i'm reluctant, can anyone share some wisdom/experiences on the matter?

My minions are C.nicobarensis
Keeper of:
1 camponotus nicobarensis

antnest8

Re: Extra virgin olive oil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:30 pm

i would test it by taking one worker in to a Tupperware container and placing it in the out world so the worker will want to get out by going over the barrier. if it stays in it works if it gets out it doesn't. This is just an experiment.
keeper of
2 lasius umbratus/neoniger colony
1 queen colony of prenolepis
3 C. pennsylvanicus
3 C novaeboracensis

Jinjernut

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:21 am

I want to know if someone has experience keeping a large colony with this method, i already know it will keep a small amount in
Keeper of:
1 camponotus nicobarensis

Dominik

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:37 am

It will keep them in but keep an eye on them and get a new lair of the barrier every week or two depends on humidity and size mostly
Keeping : 2 Formica colonies: 5-10 workers
Pheidole : 1 colony 3-5 workers
Lasius : 3 colonies 3-7 workers
Solenopsis Fugax: 5 queens founding