Should I hibernate my colony in a terrarium?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

HypernovaRain

Should I hibernate my colony in a terrarium?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:20 pm

I have a small colony of myrmica sp, and now that there's snow on the ground here in NJ I realised I should let them hibernate. The problem is, their outworld is a terrarium with springtails, snails, and isopods along with living plants and moss. Should I put the whole setup in a cold room, or would it be safe to separate the outworld and nest? I have acces to my garage which isn't heated at all, or the washroom which is always kept at 40 degrees F to prevent the pypes from freezing. Any insight of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)

Vendayn

Re: Should I hibernate my colony in a terrarium?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:43 am

Personally, I'd put the whole setup in the washroom. That is pretty cold enough to let ants hibernate. Actually wouldn't want to put them at freezing temperatures, since underground it doesn't actually freeze.

Keep in mind, ants will still need water+(and maybe) food. Just in case you aren't aware. When my Camponotus modoc hibernated it was something like once every month they got food and they did fine with a tiny bit of honey occasionally. Or you can give them honey/sugar water or whatever before hibernation and that probably work enough since the ants might not forage at all. In any case, just make sure they have water :)

As for length just in case you don't know as well...3 months I'd say is pretty good length for hibernation. And then you can take them out (if you want), even if its still cold outside. Or just go with the weather if you don't have anywhere warm inside.

HypernovaRain

Re: Should I hibernate my colony in a terrarium?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am

Thank you for the advice I'll move them as soon as I get home!
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)