Hibernating Formica

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

BuckeyeAntLover

Hibernating Formica

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Hello all-

This will be my 1st attempt at overwintering ants. I'm in NW Ohio. I believe it is a Formica species. I don't really have a place to put them, so I wrapped black tape around the front of the test tube and placed it on a north facing windowsill. The windows weren't installed correctly, so they are not very insulated. Will this be cool enough for them to hibernate? The house is kept between 68 -70F. The window has constant condensation on it.
I would put them in the fridge, but how cold is too cold? Them fridge temp is usually about 40-45F. Would that be too cold? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Batspiderfish

Re: Hibernating Formica

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Freezing (<32 F or 0 C) is too cold. The window may be fine, but be mindful if the condensation turns to frost.

Some ants (i.e. Camponotus) have no problem surviving freezing cold if they have produced and stored enough glycerol.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.