Found a Colony, need advice

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Kalous

Found a Colony, need advice

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 am

I'd love some advice, my moms boyfriend found a ton of what looks like carpenter ants hiding in insulation while he was doing construction. He felt like he grabbed them all and put them into a tote, however when i looked through them I couldn't find the Queen.

What should I do with them if they have no Queen? I have 2 budding colonies of the same species in test tubes, but I highly believe introducing them to one of my colonies would be immediately bad. Could I use the eggs to 'brood boost' my other colonies?

idahoantgirl

Re: Found a Colony, need advice

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

Kalous wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 am
I'd love some advice, my moms boyfriend found a ton of what looks like carpenter ants hiding in insulation while he was doing construction. He felt like he grabbed them all and put them into a tote, however when i looked through them I couldn't find the Queen.

What should I do with them if they have no Queen? I have 2 budding colonies of the same species in test tubes, but I highly believe introducing them to one of my colonies would be immediately bad. Could I use the eggs to 'brood boost' my other colonies?
If they are the same species, then yes, brood boosting would work.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile