Finding the Velvetey tree ant (Liometopum occidentale)

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

PestControlAntKeeper

Finding the Velvetey tree ant (Liometopum occidentale)

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:01 pm

I live in the northern california area and really want to host this ant, but do not know very much about this ant, for not even many scientists know much about it, and the length of foraging has been suspected to be over a kilometer for one colony. No nests have been found with brood. They look mighty similar to the carpenter and and are heard to have similar fashions of living. Any help in the finding of the ants, any reproductive info and if they can even be hosted would be great!!!

Idahoantguy

Re: Finding the Velvetey tree ant (Liometopum occidentale)

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

PestControlAntKeeper wrote:
I live in the northern california area and really want to host this ant, but do not know very much about this ant, for not even many scientists know much about it, and the length of foraging has been suspected to be over a kilometer for one colony. No nests have been found with brood. They look mighty similar to the carpenter and and are heard to have similar fashions of living. Any help in the finding of the ants, any reproductive info and if they can even be hosted would be great!!!
I don’t know much, but your English is awesome to read!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Dearth335

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm

The C in California is not capitalised

also queens fly in late august to early October I have two.

PestControlAntKeeper

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
I was getting curious about them after a couple of beers, sorry for the horrible grammar hahaha

Idahoantguy

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:52 pm
Idahoantguy wrote:
I was getting curious about them after a couple of beers, sorry for the horrible grammar hahaha
No no I thought it was awesome :)
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry: