ants diet

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Shaynakz

ants diet

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:39 am

Hi. I recently got a tetramorium e. queen, along with 20 workers. she is healthy and still making eggs.
I have an issue though. the ants won't eat the super worm i gave them, which i know is a lot of protein for them. I gave them a nut and a bit of meat, which both have protein, and for some reason they rejected the meat and took the nut. Is the nut enough protein for them, or does that make an issue?

as for sugars, I've been giving them a bit of peach with honey on it (Not too much or they'll drown)

My gan farmer told me that they prefer when you kill the insect then give it to them, which makes sense because they're so small. I crushed up the insect so they can easily access the inside, yet they still don't touch it or the meat.

Shaynakz

Re: ants diet

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 am

good news. I just went down to check on them and they appear to be eating the meat to. Should i still make attempts at feeding them insects or should i stick with nuts and meat?

idahoantgirl

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:11 pm

HI! What I would suggest is a cricket leg and a small drop of honey. Be careful with bugs though. If you live in an area where pesticides are used then you can't just go out side, grab a cricket, rip its leg off and feed it to them. because ants are considered "pests" also, they will die from anything that has pesticides on it. best to go to a pet store and buy some crickets. You might also consider breeding crickets. It is a cheap way to help with the issue of going to the pet store and buying crickets often. Hope this helped a little!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Another source of crickets besides pet supply stores is fishing supply places, the ones that advertise "Live Bait". they usually always have crickets (I know this because I help a guy run a bait shop). If your looking at starting to raise crickets you can hit up one of the "Snake "Reptile" shows if you see one or check to see if there is one close to you, the sell the crickets by the box (usually 2000 to a box)
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Ants4fun

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:51 am

My ants don't eat superworm for whatever reason. They like mealworms, however.