I need help on my queen ant.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

tictac

I need help on my queen ant.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello I need some assistance on the matter of identifying my ant who I call tactic.I found her on the 5th July at around 4-5 o'clock in the after noon out side my house. she is 8 mm with black with yellowish stripes on her gaster. my larvae are about to pupate so i would like to know quite soon and because winter is coming/hibernation season. hopefully the pictures work and help you identify her.

thank you

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Lasius Sp.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

tictac

Re: I need help on my queen ant.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm

thank you but do you know which sp

tictac

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

never mind i just found and image just like her

idahoantgirl

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 pm

tictac wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm
never mind i just found and image just like her
There is a reason that Pheonix didnt say the sp. Lasius is hard to identify from photos. you often have to wait till you get workers to figure it out. that is, unless batspider fish takes a look at it.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 pm

The only claustral, Eastern North American Lasius flying in July is Lasius alienus. Otherwise, it would take macro work close enough to see the hairs on the queen's antennae.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

tictac

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am

i'm pretty sure she is a lacius flavus because the image of lasius flavus and my queen ant look identical and a month a go I saw a colony out side my house which were orange so i thought they might of been myrmica sp but when i see them now the look more like lacius .however i don't know much about ants and this is my fist queen .

ps. do you have any tips for a fist time keeper

thanks

idahoantgirl

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:02 am

tictac wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am
i'm pretty sure she is a lacius flavus because the image of lasius flavus and my queen ant look identical and a month a go I saw a colony out side my house which were orange so i thought they might of been myrmica sp but when i see them now the look more like lacius .however i don't know much about ants and this is my fist queen .

ps. do you have any tips for a fist time keeper

thanks
It is impossible that she is Lasius flavus. with many ants it takes microscopic work to figure out the exact species. Photos of lasius queens often look extremely similar, but in reality they are completely different.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

tictac

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm

OK thanks. but do they need any different treatment for different subclass of lacius

Batspiderfish

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Sorry, I originally thought you were from Plymouth, Massachusetts. If the queen was found in England, that makes things a little harder, since Lasius in your area tend to fly at around the same time. Sadly, this means that we would need to closely examine the hair coverage of the antennae. Perhaps your workers will eclose and be yellow, solving this mystery.

All claustral Lasius are pretty easy to keep.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.