New family not eating

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

BuckeyeAntLover

New family not eating

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 am

Hello all. My queen that I caught at the beginning of August finally had 5 daughters that were born about a month ago. Since then I've put the test tube in a very basic outworld, however, they do not leave test tube. As a food tray, I use a lid of of a pill bottle and have placed honey, different meats, fruit, and seeds. I believe them to a Formica species. I switched the test tube out a few weeks ago as mold was taking over the 1st tube. I've physically removed them from the tube and put them on the food tray, but to no avail.
I checked yesterday and they all seem alive, but just stay gathered on the moist cotton in the test tube. Would they already be trying to hibernate for the winter without really stocking up on calories? Any information/tips that you all could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jeff

YSTheAnt

Re: New family not eating

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Some species may eat while you aren't looking, as they can be nocturnal. Depending on where you live, they may already be preparing for hibernation. Just make sure they have a constant supply of food, and when there seems to be no more brood, put them into hibernation as Formica does not overwinter brood. Good Luck!
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

AntsOnTheCoast

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 pm

You don't really start feeding them until the colony is about 15+ workers strong.

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm

AntsOnTheCoast wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 pm
You don't really start feeding them until the colony is about 15+ workers strong.
Ehh, that might work with certain species, but you should generally be feeding ants soon after the first worker leaves the callow stage.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.