Ant ID. Northern Illinois, 9/19/17 Post 2 of 2

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Chamety

Ant ID. Northern Illinois, 9/19/17 Post 2 of 2

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 am

Last but not least, ANT 10

Wings: No. Eat: Yes! Ate quite a bit, ate right off my hand holding honey on a tooth pick – went right for it and started eating it while I was still holding it. After that, she scampered out of her test tube quickly onto my hand, found a small amount of honey which had ended up on my palm from the rim of the honey jar AND SHE ATE THAT TOO! Right off my hand. Interestingly, I have 3 of these ants and every one of them went right for any sugary food really fast and ate it. Sometimes taking 2-3 tiny toothpick drops of honey.

Pretty shiny, completely black. Slightly heart-shaped gaster. Single spike at the end of her mesosoma pointing to her gaster. Thin petiole, appears to have 2 nodes on petiole. Gaster is significantly wider than her other two body segments. Wing scars not especially prominent. Spends most of her time on the humid side of the test tube. Calm. Seems content to spend her days sitting on the watery cotton.

This ant I know is from the Genus Crematogaster, but I'm not certain exactly what species.
Pic 1
Pic 2

That's all the ants that I have not certainly identified. I appreciate your help in identifying these ants. If the pictures are too poor, I understand. I'll try to get better pictures when I take them out to start cooling them down for hibernation next month or if I have to move them out to a new test tube or something.

As an aside question, what kind of sponges do you use in your homemade formicariums? Do you just use dish sponges, or do those have unhealthy chemicals for the ants?

Thanks!

Batspiderfish

Re: Ant ID. Northern Illinois, 9/19/17 Post 2 of 2

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 am

Wouldn't be able to identify without a view of hair coverage.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.