Carpenter Ant Queen with wings. Could she still be fertile?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Lunirra

Carpenter Ant Queen with wings. Could she still be fertile?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:37 pm

So... I have never kept ants before but have been researching for months now and waiting to try and find the species I have been wanting (Black Carpenter ant- Camponotus pennsylvanicus). I've been reading that the nuptial flights of this species happens in July normally. So, it being late September, I decided to throw in the towel after no luck of searching all summer and will continue my search for a queen next summer. Two days ago my daughter came running inside (she is almost 9yrs old) with cupped hands and is yelling that she found a huge queen ant. The second I saw it I knew exactly what is was and quickly got her into a test tube set up and tucked her away. The problem though, is that she still has her wings. My daughter said when she found her she wasn't trying to fly at all and was just running around on the ground in random directions. It's been 2 days now and she still hasn't pulled her wings off but I've heard that sometimes queens will keep their wings on too. She seems to be quite relaxed in her set up, just sitting quietly, not trying to get out and just grooming herself when I give a quick peak. It being so late in the season, do you think she will lay any eggs and then hibernate with them or will she wait till spring to lay her first clutch (if she lays any at all). What are the odds that she is fertile, you think? I'm trying to stay optimistic but I just have a feeling this is probably a failure and she isn't fertile. How long should I wait to see if she is fertile before letting her go?
Thanks all. This is all so new to me, even with all the reading I've been doing.

Idahoantguy

Re: Carpenter Ant Queen with wings. Could she still be fertile?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Lunirra wrote:
So... I have never kept ants before but have been researching for months now and waiting to try and find the species I have been wanting (Black Carpenter ant- Camponotus pennsylvanicus). I've been reading that the nuptial flights of this species happens in July normally. So, it being late September, I decided to throw in the towel after no luck of searching all summer and will continue my search for a queen next summer. Two days ago my daughter came running inside (she is almost 9yrs old) with cupped hands and is yelling that she found a huge queen ant. The second I saw it I knew exactly what is was and quickly got her into a test tube set up and tucked her away. The problem though, is that she still has her wings. My daughter said when she found her she wasn't trying to fly at all and was just running around on the ground in random directions. It's been 2 days now and she still hasn't pulled her wings off but I've heard that sometimes queens will keep their wings on too. She seems to be quite relaxed in her set up, just sitting quietly, not trying to get out and just grooming herself when I give a quick peak. It being so late in the season, do you think she will lay any eggs and then hibernate with them or will she wait till spring to lay her first clutch (if she lays any at all). What are the odds that she is fertile, you think? I'm trying to stay optimistic but I just have a feeling this is probably a failure and she isn't fertile. How long should I wait to see if she is fertile before letting her go?
Thanks all. This is all so new to me, even with all the reading I've been doing.
She definitely could be fertilized, I would keep her. It seems like she’s comfortable in her setup which is also a plus. She will probably have enough time to get some eggs laid but, they definitely won’t be workers before hibernation. It’s also possible she might not even get eggs before hibernation though.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 am

From What I Have Seen In Another Forum, Some Camponotus Alates [Male/Female] Are Ejected From The Colony Once Winter Arrives Should The Colony Lack The Resources To Sustain Those Alates.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Lunirra

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 am

Phoenix wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 am
From What I Have Seen In Another Forum, Some Camponotus Alates [Male/Female] Are Ejected From The Colony Once Winter Arrives Should The Colony Lack The Resources To Sustain Those Alates.
If this is the case then she probably isn't fertile? Or could she still be?

Phoenix

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 am

Maybe, Still Worth Holding Onto Her Though.
You May Never Know For Sure.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Lunirra

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 am

ok thanks. I'll hold onto her then.

AntsDakota

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Lunirra wrote:
Some queens keep their wings during the founding stage, and sometimes the rest of their lives. According to AntsCanada, a queen breaking off her wings is not the best indicator that she's mated.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm

AntsCanada caught Camponotus pennsylvanicus queens in early August, so mabey.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25