How to house VERY large queens

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Aussie

How to house VERY large queens

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm

G'day everyone

As many of you probably know Myrmecia or bull ants, are one of the largest ants in the world with the largest M. brevinoda measuring at a whopping 40mms. Luckily for me, Myrmecia nests are all throughout my backyard and there will be many different speices and opportunities for me to keep these amazing ants.

However, these ants are far too large for any testtubes i own or any i have seen. So how would you guys recommend housing these beasts?

Idahoantguy

Re: How to house VERY large queens

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I have seen pictures of those beasts and they seem huge. I'm not sure what you should keep them in though. I know that there is a YouTube channel called ants Australia who has a bull ant colony, so that might be able to give you some ideas. Hope that helps!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Aussie

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks mate, awaiting reply...

KhaoticAnts

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:28 am

if you look on ebay im pretty sure there are some cheap test tubes that are large enough for even the biggest bull ants, I have a few bull ant nest near my house but unless you're very lucky you probably wont find any this time of year usually during autumn. As for housing put them in a large outworld kind of container and place the standard test tube set up in there as well but leave the test tube open so the ant can walk in and out because as i'm sure you know bull ants are semi claustral, and then every few day put in a small insect increase the amount of food you give her when she has more brood and then thats pretty much it.

Aussie

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 am

Yeah i'm starting to prep now cause i am getting impatient....

20mm diameter good?