Hi, New Mom & Son Newb Team

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MOLeary

Hi, New Mom & Son Newb Team

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:37 am

Hi all! My son and I are just starting out in the wonderful world of ant keeping. He discovered AntsCanada on YouTube and pestered me until I became an avid watcher too. Amazing stuff! We're both into nature, and the micro-world of insects has always fascinated us. I was always against the usual ant farms--they seemed inhumane and sad--so when my son suggested keeping ants after watching AntsCanada, I was reluctant. Until we started finding queen ants around our home and learned from Mikey how easy it was to house them. Now, we have five queens, four of which have eggs already! :D

The identity of our five queens is a bit of a mystery (please forgive our ignorance--we are complete newbies) so I will probably head over to the identification section of the forum and beg someone's expert opinion. We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA, so we're probably looking at Camponotus or Formica. I'm discovering that I'm just as excited about ant keeping as my son. Wish us luck!

Thanks, AntsCanada, for introducing us to the incredible lives of ants!
AntLoveForever

-Michelle & Dominc, the Newb Team

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Hi, New Mom & Son Newb Team

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Ant Keeping! Yes please post your pics of the queens in the Ant Species Identification Center area and I'm sure others would be glad to help you!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

KSkuroooari

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Happy to see another mommy & son team! "Yay" for our quality time together before they won't want to be around us anymore. 😂

MOLeary

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:28 am

KSkuroooari wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:46 pm
Happy to see another mommy & son team! "Yay" for our quality time together before they won't want to be around us anymore. 😂
Exactly!! :lol: Thanks to you and Mike for the warm welcome! :)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:29 am

So happy for you and your son! My youngest son helps me collect queens and it has been great having this shared interest together :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator