My Queens Won't Lay Eggs

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Batspiderfish

Re: My Queens Won't Lay Eggs

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Formica do not keep any brood over the winter, so they will not begin/resume laying until the spring.

Lasius neoniger queens overwinter before laying eggs.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Olst1207

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 pm

My queen is laying eggs but they are all scattered is this normal? I have them in a warm room and I try not to disturb them. The ant still has wings but Layed the eggs.

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Olst1207 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 pm
My queen is laying eggs but they are all scattered is this normal? I have them in a warm room and I try not to disturb them. The ant still has wings but Layed the eggs.
That's a sign that the queen is not fertilized. Not an absolute sign, but that is the most likely scenario.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

SpaceFace

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I have a "unknown" species of ant in my test tube setup. I found out that it was a queen but its not laying a single egg. :oops:
It is mid October now and its 3 weeks after capture. PLEASE HELP!!!

SpaceFace

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 pm

olst 1207, your doing every thing fine. If the eggs are scattered and the queen does'nt seem to care for them, sadly it is not a fertalized queen. when the eggs hatch, there will be male ants, not workers. :( :( :( :( :( This is because your queen didnt mate yet. Gender for ants depends on the number of genes the ants has. Worker=2 genes male=1gene queen = 2 gene your queen only has 1 gene sadly. please help me. (above this form)

AntsDakota

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 pm

SpaceFace wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 pm
olst 1207, your doing every thing fine. If the eggs are scattered and the queen does'nt seem to care for them, sadly it is not a fertalized queen. when the eggs hatch, there will be male ants, not workers. :( :( :( :( :( This is because your queen didnt mate yet. Gender for ants depends on the number of genes the ants has. Worker=2 genes male=1gene queen = 2 gene your queen only has 1 gene sadly. please help me. (above this form)
Yet there is still a tiny, tiny chance that she is fertile. But she is probably not.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:28 pm

SpaceFace wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 pm
I have a "unknown" species of ant in my test tube setup. I found out that it was a queen but its not laying a single egg. :oops:
It is mid October now and its 3 weeks after capture. PLEASE HELP!!!
It could be one of 3 things-

1 You're checking on them too often
2 She's not mated
3 She is preparing for hibernation. '

Three is probably the most likely scenario, due to the fact that some queens wait until spring to lay eggs. Yet two is still a high possibility.

AntsDakota

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Formica do not keep any brood over the winter, so they will not begin/resume laying until the spring.

Do Solenopsis molesta keep brood over the winter? My semi mature colony still has hundreds of brood. I am keeping them in my garage, and it's froze several times, yet the brood is still alive.

Batspiderfish

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:

Do Solenopsis molesta keep brood over the winter? My semi mature colony still has hundreds of brood. I am keeping them in my garage, and it's froze several times, yet the brood is still alive.
I've never successfully kept Solenopsis so I wouldn't know, but I wouldn't keep them anywhere that ices over. Not all ants are resistant to freezing.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

CoolAiden48

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:15 am

More than likely, the reason anyone's queens aren't laying any eggs right now are because it is the beginning of Fall and temperatures are dropping rapidly. The queens inner biological clock is telling her to hibernate, therefore she is obeying that and is trying to hibernate. If your queens refuses to lay eggs about a month after spring starts and temperatures start rising, then you either don't have a queen, the queen is sick, you are harassing her too much, she is infertile, or she might be dead. And to the guy that said his queen laid eggs but they are scattered around, this is a sign that your queen is infertile, as well as her having wings. [If you find this helpful, subscribe to me on YouTube ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHUMpnq_NimKrgUHlsaPcpA?view_as=public