Formica fully claustral queen died

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Scynthius

Formica fully claustral queen died

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Caught 8 queens on August 6 and one of the 8 died sometime between last Saturday and today. It was caught without wings on(I know this doesn't indicate anything) caught in the central Alberta area keep at room or warmer. I had posted picture here and was identified as a formica (podzilica?) Queen.

I also had another one of them die on me a couple weeks ago be cause I didn't learn it was a social parasite till after it had died unfortunately.

Just curious as to why this queen would have died. I have caught 10 queens total this summer all formica. Only one has laid eggs thus far but I was told some won't lay till spring.

The only queen I fed (just a little honey at this point) was the formica aserva which currently has 1 host worker

Any ideas? Can post pictures of the queen if you want

tlcants

Re: Formica fully claustral queen died

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:27 am

Hi sorry to hear of the deaths.

There are many different reasons that they could of died, diseases, mites, fungus, ect.
Its always sad when a queen dies but we just have to be patient and keep trying.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

Scynthius

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply.

Do queens die when they aren't fertile? Almost like giving up on life because they won't have workers to take care of them?

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:47 am

It's not like anybody autopsies their ants, so we don't know why they die "mysteriously".
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.