August - September ant queens (newbie looking fr help)

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

tetriminoss

August - September ant queens (newbie looking fr help)

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Sole Carpenter ant queen that I got back in July died after I checked it on after coming back from 2 weeks trip. She laid few eggs and died.. I am trying to look for queens right now but I don't see any sign of queens.

I live in Mississauga, Canada (city in ontario) and lots of greens around my apartment. There's a soccer field, park nearby and lots of side walks with grass sprawling. This is the same spot I caught my carpenter ant queen. Since they usually do their thing on June - July I know I won't get one (low chance).

I know some ants that are in August - September range such as crematogaster and lasious ants. So, what I want to ask is what are the key points I, as a beginner tend to miss. Something like time of the day, temperature, rain fall happened or what and their usual hiding spot.

Thanks for the help, this is my first post so if there's any mistakes thx for pointing it out
New ant keeper

AntsRule

Re: August - September ant queens (newbie looking fr help)

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi welcome to the forum! Queens usually fly on a warm day after a big rain but not always. I look for queens everyday so i don't miss a flight. I find most of my queens in my swimming pool. If you are near a pool or other large body of water and have access to it i would suggest searching to top of the water for stranded queens. I have also found some under rocks or just wandering around. Always keep a test tube on you because you might end up finding one when you are not even looking. I live in Pa and lasius have not flown here yet but when they due its very hard not to find them. I am sure you will find one if not more than one, as long as you keep your eyes peeled. Also investigate nearby nest of species you know should fly soon. I can usually tell when a flight will happen because males will be surrounding the top of the nest. Pick up logs and rocks and check colonies for alates so you know what species still have alates ready to fly. I hope this helps! Good luck! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsOntario

Re: August - September ant queens (newbie looking fr help)

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm

tetriminoss wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Sole Carpenter ant queen that I got back in July died after I checked it on after coming back from 2 weeks trip. She laid few eggs and died.. I am trying to look for queens right now but I don't see any sign of queens.

I live in Mississauga, Canada (city in ontario) and lots of greens around my apartment. There's a soccer field, park nearby and lots of side walks with grass sprawling. This is the same spot I caught my carpenter ant queen. Since they usually do their thing on June - July I know I won't get one (low chance).

I know some ants that are in August - September range such as crematogaster and lasious ants. So, what I want to ask is what are the key points I, as a beginner tend to miss. Something like time of the day, temperature, rain fall happened or what and their usual hiding spot.

Thanks for the help, this is my first post so if there's any mistakes thx for pointing it out
Hey! I'm actually on the end of Brampton that's basically beside Mississauga. For catching queens, I normally look in the morning between 8 - 11 AM. That's a hot spot for queens. Look at places that have alot of greenery, but a paved area nearby. I find that a lot of queens mate inside dense forested areas, then walk out on pavements to look for homes. If you still have no luck, I have a few extra queens this year I could sell you. (I'm going to become a GAN farmer)
I have:
1 Tetramorium Colony (20+ Pupa, 30+ Eggs & 20+ workers)
1 Tetramorium Queen (15+ Eggs, I caught her 4 days ago)
*I'm not sure if I'm aloud to post something I'm selling. My only intentions were to be helpful haha!*