Cork formicarium

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

af4545

Cork formicarium

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Hey guys,
Today I made my first formicarium ever and I'm actually quite proud of it :D. Here's a picture of it...
I was wondering (and hoping), would lasius niger be suited to live in such formicaria. If not is there anything I can do to change that? It's made mostly out of chipwood and a little bit of cork. The tunnels are definitely big enough as I have compared a queen to it in a test tube. Another question I have is how do i hydrate the nest? Finally, how many workers should I have before I move the colony in?

Thanks in advance.
Keeper of: Lasius Niger
Lasius Flavus
Myrmica Rubra

AntsRule

Re: Cork formicarium

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 pm

You might be able to keep lasius in it but I have no real experience with cork nests. Campontus would be much better suited for it although I believe you can make it work. As far as hydrating the nest, you should have developed a way to hydrate it upon construction. You might still be able to find a place to put a tube connected to a sponge that sits next to the nest. I hope you have a shell around that because lasius might be able to did in that and make there way out. Wait for as many workers as possible to move them in. 25 minimum but the more the better. Hope that helps.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

af4545

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:15 am

AntsRule wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 pm
You might be able to keep lasius in it but I have no real experience with cork nests. Campontus would be much better suited for it although I believe you can make it work. As far as hydrating the nest, you should have developed a way to hydrate it upon construction. You might still be able to find a place to put a tube connected to a sponge that sits next to the nest. I hope you have a shell around that because lasius might be able to did in that and make there way out
. Wait for as many workers as possible to move them in. 25 minimum but the more the better. Hope that helps.
Great. Thanks for the help!
Lasius Flavus
Myrmica Rubra

af4545

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:09 am

I've decided to make it from scratch again. Can someone explain in detail how I can add a hydration system.
Thanks
Lasius Flavus
Myrmica Rubra