PLEASE, help quick!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

harry7778

PLEASE, help quick!

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 pm

My Lasius queen is currently in a test tube set up and it seems that mold or fungus has developed in her test tube so I did the regular two test tubes together with tape and a gap for air and a bright light over her and the new test tube covered in the dark. It's been three whole days and she just will not move I've been observing her intensely over the past few days and not once has she even explored the new test tube, she's just sitting in the same spot caring for her eggs. Is there anything I can do to encourage her to move?

Batspiderfish

Re: PLEASE, help quick!

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:39 pm

If she doesn't move, then she is probably doing fine. What does the fungus look like? Because if you haven't been feeding her (non-parasitic Lasius are claustral) and the test tube water is clean, then there is very little chance that whatever is growing on the cotton is harmful.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

harry7778

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 pm

I haven't yet fed her, she's Lasius Neo-Niger I'm pretty sure and I've only had her about a week. The mold or fungus is black and she seems to be pulling chunks of it off so that she can get to the water without drinking from the black parts. Here's a picture.

https://gyazo.com/172e5379d87de14841407a4a72ff48b0

You can see the black parts she has removed and set aside away from her eggs.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 pm

I don't believe that's anything to worry about. Your queen probably isn't drinking the water anyways -- ants can drink but they get most of their moisture by absorbing it from the atmosphere, which is quite moist underground or in a test tube.

Also, there are no Lasius neoniger in the UK. Lasius alienus and L. brunneus are possibilities, but we would need to view the hair coverage on the antennal scapes to differentiate her from L. niger.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

harry7778

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:04 pm

My mistake, someone on the forums told me she was a Lasius Neo-Niger, they got it wrong it seems. Thanks for all your comforting advice. :D