Another Queen Ant Identification

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Post Reply
User avatar
AqdasHassaan
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:47 am
Location: Pakistan

Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28158Post AqdasHassaan
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:46 am

Hi fellow ant keepers, hope you all are doing well. :)

So today I caught another queen ant in my apartment. Not sure what specie is that so help me out on this one too.:)
Sorry for the bad picture quality once again but i don't have a proper camera setup for high resolution pictures.

Thanks and Regards. :D

Image

Image

Image

What I can tell you guys is this queen is twice the size of the first one I caught and it is very active as well as compared to the first one. I've also posted the pics of my previous queen on this post. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4204
Keeper of Pheidole sp.

idahoantgirl
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28192Post idahoantgirl
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 pm

AqdasHassaan wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:46 am
Hi fellow ant keepers, hope you all are doing well. :)

So today I caught another queen ant in my apartment. Not sure what specie is that so help me out on this one too.:)
Sorry for the bad picture quality once again but i don't have a proper camera setup for high resolution pictures.

Thanks and Regards. :D

Image

Image

Image

What I can tell you guys is this queen is twice the size of the first one I caught and it is very active as well as compared to the first one. I've also posted the pics of my previous queen on this post. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4204
I'm tempted to say Tetramorium, but I don't know for sure. Usually when I see tetramorium I instantly am 100 percent sure, but I'm not right now.So, I'd say pheidole of some sort.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
AqdasHassaan
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:47 am
Location: Pakistan

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28249Post AqdasHassaan
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 am

Do you want me to try and take some better pictures of her for you so you can better ID her.? My camera sucks though but the least I can do is to try my best.
Keeper of Pheidole sp.

Dominik
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:24 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28262Post Dominik
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 am

I don t know what length is it if it is big it is camponotus pennsylvanicus and if it is small i would say pheidole
Keeper of 10x Lasius Niger 1 pheidole 2x camponotus and some unindentified queens

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28294Post Jadeninja9
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Most likely Pheidole sp.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28296Post Batspiderfish
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Better lighting (or a darker background) and a measurement would help.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

User avatar
AqdasHassaan
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:47 am
Location: Pakistan

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28306Post AqdasHassaan
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm
Better lighting (or a darker background) and a measurement would help.
Sure I'll post some soon.
Keeper of Pheidole sp.

PlatinumStars
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:12 am

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28389Post PlatinumStars
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 am

hi who would know if thsi is a queen ant it has a pointed abdomen and very small antenna

User avatar
AqdasHassaan
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:47 am
Location: Pakistan

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28410Post AqdasHassaan
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:31 am

PlatinumStars wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 am
hi who would know if thsi is a queen ant it has a pointed abdomen and very small antenna
This is queen without a doubt you can almost actually tell the difference between a male and a female by looking at their body shape and over all the size differences. small antennas or pointed abdomen has nothing to do with it.
Keeper of Pheidole sp.

PlatinumStars
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:12 am

Re: Another Queen Ant Identification

Post: # 28506Post PlatinumStars
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:21 am

thx

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests