Myrmica Rubra in the UK

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Antacid

Myrmica Rubra in the UK

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am

Can anyone within the UK tell me if I have missed the Myrmica Rubra nuptial flights?. The weather here in the midlands has been patchy at best with many Flavus and Niger flights being staggered over a week (in my area).
I have been out hunting but not one Myrmica R have I seen. Any info especially the positive kind would be welcomed.

TyTy..

harry7778

Re: Myrmica Rubra in the UK

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm pretty sure Myrmica Ruba fly within July-August so I'm sure you'll come across one eventually, also would love to know where you search or even where you notice a nuptial flight in the UK, I live in Kent, the so called Garden of England and I can't find any queens! Nor have I seen one nuptial flight happening through the whole of July I've found only two this year and I've been searching every day for hours on end.

Antacid

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 am

The nuptial flights in my area happened last week, on the whole, they seem to have diminished compared to last year which was less than the year before, and so on. Needless to say, just because they have finished in my area doesn't mean its finished in yours.
Perhaps because of all the crappy weather we've been having there may be some secondary flights when it stops effing raining.

As far as finding them is concerned, you need to find out where some ants nests are and then check them every afternoon. If your lucky one day you'll see a whole bunch of queens and males (alates ). Don't go grabbing a bunch because they wont have been fertilized. Seeing the fliers is your indication to go hunting for queens, move a good way away from the nest. keep your eye on the pavements, they always seem to be a good place to look, but you can find them literally anywhere.

Its a great feeling to raise your own queen but If the worst comes to the worst you can always by a queen with a small colony.

Good luck and keep your eyes on the floor ..

hiitsmeiambored

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 pm

I tend to only find lasius niger queens in my area never any flavus or myrmica rubra so thinking of buying a queen with a few workers. Some websites allow you to buy just the queen so you could always keep that as a backup option