Is my lasius niger queen stresed out?

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
DanEyres

Is my lasius niger queen stresed out?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 am

Hi,

​Im very new to ant keeping and i want my first experience to be the best so,
I recently got a lasius niger queen and put her in a test tube setup, but over the past few days she hasn't been moving much and hasnt layed any eggs so i thought that she must be stressed out, as this is the first thing that came to mind as im very new to ant keeping and I know her not laying any eggs is a sign of stress.
​This really worries me please help!
​Is she stressed out or is there another reason?

​Thanks, Dan

idahoantgirl

Re: Is my lasius niger queen stresed out?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:02 pm

DanEyres wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 am
Hi,

​Im very new to ant keeping and i want my first experience to be the best so,
I recently got a lasius niger queen and put her in a test tube setup, but over the past few days she hasn't been moving much and hasnt layed any eggs so i thought that she must be stressed out, as this is the first thing that came to mind as im very new to ant keeping and I know her not laying any eggs is a sign of stress.
​This really worries me please help!
​Is she stressed out or is there another reason?

​Thanks, Dan
It's only been a couple days. Queens take anywhere from a few hours, to a month to lay eggs! Some lasius species even wait the entire winter. (lasius neoniger) I would reccommend not even looking at her for a week. Then check on her without disturbing her as much as possible. If you only check on her once a week, she will be fine.
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

DanEyres

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for the reply,
Maybe that's the problem as I do check her very often because its my first time trying this out so m really exited.
Again thanks so much. :)

harry7778

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 am

It's also my first summer trying ant keeping and I understand that it's very hard not to look at them, I could watch them all day, they're just so interesting but it's always best just to put them in a dark warm place with a medium air flow and just let them be for a month, if you left them for a month or two, you could come back to workers and brood! You just have to find something to make you forget about them, they will grow and function a hell of a lot faster if they don't get disturbed, (Make sure to at least check them once a month incase of mold in the setup or if they have ran out of water if she's in a smaller tube) thank you.