Am i worrying to much?

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Post Reply
AntOblivion
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm
Location: Illinois

Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24483Post AntOblivion
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 pm

So my camponotus pennsylvanicus colony has decided to store their brood right by the cotton i would have to take out to feed them. what should i do?
In-case you're curious here's a picture of them
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0a578PrgWPpNWJfdXg2WmJnMTJqQWZ6eGN0ckZFSk5lWmU0
Keeping:

Camponotus Subbarbatus

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

idahoantgirl
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24488Post idahoantgirl
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Just work around it carefully. I would suggest placing the entire tube in an outworld. Then take a small section of drinking straw (1/2 to 1 inch) And stick it between the cotton and the side of the tube. This way they can exit the nest and forage for themselves instead of you having to disturb them by tearing out the cotton and ramming a giant cricket leg in there :lol:
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

AntOblivion
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24491Post AntOblivion
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 pm
Just work around it carefully. I would suggest placing the entire tube in an outworld. Then take a small section of drinking straw (1/2 to 1 inch) And stick it between the cotton and the side of the tube. This way they can exit the nest and forage for themselves instead of you having to disturb them by tearing out the cotton and ramming a giant cricket leg in there :lol:
Thanks! Would you suggest using the straw, or could I just remove the cotton in the first place in the outworld?
Keeping:

Camponotus Subbarbatus

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

idahoantgirl
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24493Post idahoantgirl
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm

AntOblivion wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 pm
Just work around it carefully. I would suggest placing the entire tube in an outworld. Then take a small section of drinking straw (1/2 to 1 inch) And stick it between the cotton and the side of the tube. This way they can exit the nest and forage for themselves instead of you having to disturb them by tearing out the cotton and ramming a giant cricket leg in there :lol:
Thanks! Would you suggest using the straw, or could I just remove the cotton in the first place in the outworld?
Naw, I would use the straw. It helps them feel like its more of a nest. (think of having a house with only three walls. It wouldn't be very comfortable
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

AntOblivion
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24494Post AntOblivion
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm
AntOblivion wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 pm
Just work around it carefully. I would suggest placing the entire tube in an outworld. Then take a small section of drinking straw (1/2 to 1 inch) And stick it between the cotton and the side of the tube. This way they can exit the nest and forage for themselves instead of you having to disturb them by tearing out the cotton and ramming a giant cricket leg in there :lol:
Thanks! Would you suggest using the straw, or could I just remove the cotton in the first place in the outworld?
Naw, I would use the straw. It helps them feel like its more of a nest. (think of having a house with only three walls. It wouldn't be very comfortable
Alright! Thank you i just ordered fluon and i already have an outworld ready so when the fluon arrives i will put them in there
Keeping:

Camponotus Subbarbatus

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

idahoantgirl
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24547Post idahoantgirl
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm

yeah... You probably don't need fluon. You can use other cheaper barriers. Camponotus can barely climb well at all.
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

AntOblivion
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Post: # 24550Post AntOblivion
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:35 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm
yeah... You probably don't need fluon. You can use other cheaper barriers. Camponotus can barely climb well at all.
well thats what i heard but my subbarbatus colony i used Vaseline and the worker went right past the barrier and got out
Keeping:

Camponotus Subbarbatus

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexander and 2 guests