Queen ate egg

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

carsonman99

Queen ate egg

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:28 pm

So my first queen from about a month ago had some pupae and I decided to put her in my Omni nest. I used this barbecue skewer that I used for honey feeding to guide her and her eggs in. I left them in there for an hour before checking on them. I can't see any of the eggs except 1 and I think she might have eaten them because some honey got on them...

AntOblivion

Re: Queen ate egg

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Queens will eat their eggs if they get really stressed so what I'm thinking is when you moved them with the barbecue skewer it stressed her out and she ate eggs. Sucks man :/

carsonman99

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 pm

If I leave her in there will she use the protein from the eggs to make more or is she done for?

AntOblivion

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:57 pm

carsonman99 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 pm
If I leave her in there will she use the protein from the eggs to make more or is she done for?
She'll lay more... Just don't disturb her and remember, Keep her warm, and in the dark. She should start laying eggs again soon. Do you know what species your queen is? Because if she is Fully claustral you don't need to feed her at all.

carsonman99

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:46 am

Update she laid about 4 more eggs over night but she staying in the chamber where the tube connects. I took one of the sponges out so they could choose if they want it moist or not. Should I be concerned if she hasn't discovered the wet sponge or will she most likely search for moisture if she needs it. Reminder she is a Formica sp.

idahoantgirl

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:41 am

carsonman99 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:46 am
Update she laid about 4 more eggs over night but she staying in the chamber where the tube connects. I took one of the sponges out so they could choose if they want it moist or not. Should I be concerned if she hasn't discovered the wet sponge or will she most likely search for moisture if she needs it. Reminder she is a Formica sp.
she will find it. dont worry! ;)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ultraex2

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 am

Hindsight is 20/20, but you really should have waited to move her until after the first pupae eclosed or attached the test tube and let her move on her own. As long as their is still pupae she should still be fine, but just remember to be patient!