Anyone from Nova Scotia, Canada

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

DrDramaticElk1

Anyone from Nova Scotia, Canada

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone was from (or near) Halifax, Nova Scotia.
I make formicaria (formicarium plural if you didn't know), and I wanted to see if anyone was willing to buy before I decide to make a bunch and waste money. these formicaria are made of plaster OR cork (two layers, one carved to create tunnels and the other as a base for the tunnels [lower layer thinner than the tunnel layer] size is up to you really, I can also make hydration chambers according to the species preferred humidity percentage).

I am also thinking about catching a bunch of queens (Lasius, maybe Camponotus, tetramorium and formica).

But before I use my money on buying cork, and test tubes from the AntsCanada store (Great products by the way) to catch queens, I would like to know if anyone is would like to buy.

- DrDramatic
keeper (hopefully) of camponotus :D

jsantswag

Re: Anyone from Nova Scotia, Canada

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 am

i would gladly but i live in the us

KHandcock

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm in New Brunswick and just getting started on the hobby. What sort of price range do you think you'd be selling the formicariums in?

DrDramaticElk1

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:58 pm

depending on the size of it, what size where you thinking in inches

DrDramaticElk1

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

well actually what species and size were you thinking lol

KHandcock

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 pm

I have one queen I'm pretty sure is camponotus pennsylvanicus and another unidentified as yet :-) I'd be looking for something fairly small - maybe 6" by 6" - so that they would fit on my desk and so that they're not overwhelming for new colonies.

DrDramaticElk1

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I may be able to help identify that queen if you need help

and what kind of formicarium would you like - plaster or wooden(cork) {cork would be better for Camponotus}

KHandcock

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks! I've got a post up in the identification forum about the first queen I found. I haven't taken any pictures of the second queen yet because she was pretty stressed out when I caught her; I'll try to get some shots of her this weekend when I check on her.

Since I'm brand new to this hobby I'm definitely willing to take suggestions about materials etc. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I like the look of cork better.

DrDramaticElk1

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:18 pm

cork would be a lot better for camponotus because they live in wood and it would feel more natural for them, however it would be more expensive. here is an amazon link for some cheap cork sheets... plenty to make 2 formicaria (link: https://www.amazon.ca/Lorell-Natural-12-Inch-Heightx12-Inch-Surface/dp/B00B0ASW86/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1497485165&sr=8-9&keywords=cork ). you could maybe ask the manufacturers for 2 instead of 4 but i don't think they would except. cork is expensive and it is wood, so it will rot so you'll need to replace it every year or two.

plaster formicaria are VERY easy to make it just takes patients for it to dry before you start drilling, grout is also a good option (never tried it but from the videos i have watched, it looks pretty easy... but like plaster it NEEDS to dry) here are some good videos on "how to make an ant farms" (1) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSxWuasY-I )-and-(2) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDIJzYrMI7Q&t=265s )

Canadant

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi im from nova scotia. Im brand new to the hobby but super keen. I currently have 3 camponatus queens in test tubes but im really looking for a tetramorium queen. I just ordered the onni nest last week. Ill most likely get a camponatus hybrid nest as well cause i want the omni nest for a faster growing colony. Im intetested in formicariums though.

Brian