Looking to purchase a queen, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, or Utah.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

WyoAnts

Looking to purchase a queen, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, or Utah.

Sun May 14, 2017 9:51 pm

I am looking to start my first colony and am trying to find a queen to purchase. I am in Colorado, but I am willing to travel to Wyoming , Kansas, or Utah. Any help,would be great.

Batspiderfish

Re: Looking to purchase a queen, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, or Utah.

Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 pm

You can't transport queens across state lines. There are many species to be found within your state and the ant season is just starting.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

WyoAnts

Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 am

So what does a person do if they never find a queen? I walk miles almost daily with no luck. I am seeing tons and tons of ants but as of yet no luck finding a queen.

Martialis

Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 am

Black lights work, if you have access to those. Depending on the species, those ants will fly at different times in the year; possibly at night. If you're walking miles, you might not be looking in as much detail as you would walking maybe a half mile.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Wed May 17, 2017 4:48 pm

WyoAnts wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 am
So what does a person do if they never find a queen? I walk miles almost daily with no luck. I am seeing tons and tons of ants but as of yet no luck finding a queen.
It is still early in the year for the nuptial flights. The only thing that's flown in Maine so far is Prenolepis imparis, and they are pretty much done. Camponotus will be flying very soon, and you will probably be seeing their flights. July and August are the busiest mating seasons.

Doing that walking is important, even if you turn up nothing. I've spent years doing this, and now I'm pretty attuned to when my local ants are going to fly.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.