Obviously doing something wrong

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

perryismyname

Obviously doing something wrong

Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Well as another and season is coming around I have realized I am doing something wrong...... I am the only one actively pursuing this ant hobby but I am the only one in my house of 4 that hasn't found a queen ant...... :( My dad found a tiny queen last year that I still haven't been able to identify, my brother found a camponotous last year that died, and just tonight at 9 PM my sister found a camponotous. Even though I am greatly appreciative of them for finding them it also makes me really angry because I am the only one that actively tries to determine when they would be flying and am the only one that goes on hour long ant hunts on any day with good conditions trying to find anything. But yet I am the only one that hasn't found one. What in the heck should I do? I am completely lost and pissed now.
Thanks -Perry

Martialis

Re: Obviously doing something wrong

Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 pm

Sometimes an hour is not enough time to find a queen. ;)

Also, looking at the weather is a good start. For example, Camponotus sometimes fly on drier days and nights, while Tapinoma or Lasius fly after rain. Prenolepis imparis flies few days after rain as well.
Keeper of

Selliing:

perryismyname

Mon May 08, 2017 1:43 am

The problem is I play a club sport all year round and then 2 sports during the summer and with school I do not have all of the time in the world. I see Mikey's videos and he walks like 10 feet from his house and finds a queen, and by the end of a less than one hour walk he has 10+. Once they fly and start their nuptial flights how long can they be found until over 90% or so have found a place that they will stay?
Martialis wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 pm
Sometimes an hour is not enough time to find a queen. ;)

Also, looking at the weather is a good start. For example, Camponotus sometimes fly on drier days and nights, while Tapinoma or Lasius fly after rain. Prenolepis imparis flies few days after rain as well.
Thanks -Perry

JackPayne

Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 am

Patience, it only looks like less than an hour since he can edit the video.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?