Atta Texana, am i having problems?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Thetortoiseis

Atta Texana, am i having problems?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 am

Hello to all, and thanks for having me in the forums!

I've caught 7 Atta Texana newly founded queens about two weeks ago(i forgot to mark the dates of nuptial flights and collection) and as I did not have any test tubes large enough to fit them i allowed them to do a more natural approach. I let them dig out their own nests in some containers i had around.

All seemed well until two of them started back out of the plugged tunnels and died on the surface. I might add that the ones that did this had grouped up and had been sharing nest cavities, 2 queens per nest cavity. I still have five as far as I know, and for sure two of them are sharing a nest. These two are very caring of each other, they preen and groom each other and the like. Will one be discharged and die?
Also, I'm not sure they've layed eggs yet, what's the common timeframe between nesting establishment and egglaying?

I am beginning to worry that I should have put them into individual, smaller containers, that I would have more control over.

Any comments, questions, or general banter would be appreciated as when I entered "Atta Texana" into the search window it yielded zero results.

Also, I know that I have wayy too many queens of this species, so if there's anyone local to me (Austin/San Antonio/Houston area) that may want one is be happy to try and arrange something. I don't want to just let them die by releasing them.

Thanks in advance for any responses. 😊

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:04 am

Atta / Acromyrmex = Fungus Growers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSnoTjwFleo
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Martialis

Re: Atta Texana, am i having problems?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:12 am

Both of those genera are monogynous. Make sure humidity is high, the fungus needs it. Try offering some sort of leaves or substrate for them to add to their fungus.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Thetortoiseis

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:43 pm

For the queen or her soon to be workers do I add the leaves for fungus? Will the queen add to the bit she coughed up?? I'm still unsure as to if there are any eggs, I thought I saw some before and the queen guarding over them but I don't see them any longer.

martinnate

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 am

Thetortoiseis wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 am
Hello to all, and thanks for having me in the forums!

I've caught 7 Atta Texana newly founded queens about two weeks ago(i forgot to mark the dates of nuptial flights and collection) and as I did not have any test tubes large enough to fit them i allowed them to do a more natural approach. I let them dig out their own nests in some containers i had around.

All seemed well until two of them started back out of the plugged tunnels and died on the surface. I might add that the ones that did this had grouped up and had been sharing nest cavities, 2 queens per nest cavity. I still have five as far as I know, and for sure two of them are sharing a nest. These two are very caring of each other, they preen and groom each other and the like. Will one be discharged and die?
Also, I'm not sure they've layed eggs yet, what's the common timeframe between nesting establishment and egglaying?

I am beginning to worry that I should have put them into individual, smaller containers, that I would have more control over.

Any comments, questions, or general banter would be appreciated as when I entered "Atta Texana" into the search window it yielded zero results.

Also, I know that I have wayy too many queens of this species, so if there's anyone local to me (Austin/San Antonio/Houston area) that may want one is be happy to try and arrange something. I don't want to just let them die by releasing them.

Thanks in advance for any responses. 😊
I have not read the rest of this post, I will after I post this :-) I live in Abilene and would love to have one of ur queens. I fly back to Tx on May 8th and I beleive I have the following weekend off. Please save one for me, I would be more than happy to travel there to get one or two depending on what u want to do with them.

Martialis

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:10 am

Thetortoiseis wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:43 pm
For the queen or her soon to be workers do I add the leaves for fungus? Will the queen add to the bit she coughed up?? I'm still unsure as to if there are any eggs, I thought I saw some before and the queen guarding over them but I don't see them any longer.
Leaves are fine, just don't bother then too much.
martinnate wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 am

=I have not read the rest of this post, I will after I post this :-) I live in Abilene and would love to have one of ur queens. I fly back to Tx on May 8th and I believe I have the following weekend off. Please save one for me, I would be more than happy to travel there to get one or two depending on what u want to do with them.
Atta are not an easy genus to keep.
Keeper of

Selliing:

martinnate

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:28 am

I know they are not easy, I have been reading as much as I could fine, and watched many youtube vids and documentaries on fungus growers. The other fungus grower we have in Tx require gathering caterpillar droppings (poop) for them to feed their fungus and I dont think I want to do that. I would like to try and see if I can keep them. I have plenty of plant litter I could give them.

Thetortoiseis

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 pm

That wouldn't be a problem as I have too many. I can't pm yet so I'm how you'd like to work it out, but we will get there.
:)

martinnate

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Email me texas_21_80@yahoo.com

martinnate

Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 am

hello again, I am now back in Abilene and I will be home for at least 3 weeks with I believe 2 weekends off, 5\20-21 and 5/27-28. So if ur still interested in giving or saleing one let me know. I have a Small Companotus queen with 6 workers and about 6 eggs and larva that I wont mind traiding if u want :-) Please let me know. Oh and an update on how things are going would be cool too. Thanks in advance.