help me out

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: help me out

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:36 am

akhil5657 wrote: This a queen for sure. She is 5-7 mm long. Donno which species. How to care her
Hello there, when identifying ants we require a closeup clear photo of the ant, along with relevant information including place and date that she was caught, body length in mm, and other visual or behavioural characteristics you can provide.

It is hard to tell what she is at this point. :)
Ant Love Forever.

Benbo1

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I have captured a black queen ant any idea what it might be?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Benbo1

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Thx very much

Benbo1

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:37 pm

This is my first starter queen what do they usually eat and shall I feed honey

LoomyNarty

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:55 pm

hey I've had this queen for about 3 months and it only has 2 workers. Am i doing something wrong or is it normal. I have no idea what the species is but it might be a type of sugar ant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LoomyNarty

Re:

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:13 pm

LoomyNarty wrote:hey I've had this queen for about 3 months and it only has 2 workers. Am i doing something wrong or is it normal. I have no idea what the species is but it might be a type of sugar ant.
I also have another pic

LoomyNarty

Re: Re:

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Jonathan21700 wrote:
LoomyNarty wrote:hey I've had this queen for about 3 months and it only has 2 workers. Am i doing something wrong or is it normal. I have no idea what the species is but it might be a type of sugar ant.
This is not L. niger but Nylanderia or Brachymyrmex .
Yeah my ant looks alot like a Brachymyrmex. Do you or does anyone know why it only has 2 workers over a period of 2 and a half months??

LoomyNarty

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Foxish wrote:Hey buddy,

Let's check your setup :)

- Plenty of water behind your cotton, if you have indeed got a Brachymyrmex queen some quick research tells me they like high moisture environments, I found this information here:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/ants/dark_rover_ant.htm

- No signs of mould
- Now that you have workers, put a small (tiny) amount of honey in there for them, if they don't eat it after a few days replace it as it will allow bacteria to grow in your test tube. This is important and you must keep on top of this.
- They are in a warm, dark place. This is crucial, leave them somewhere reasonably warm (but not an airing cupboard, that is far too dry!) and only bring them out into the light once every few days to check their water and their honey.

The above is basically all you can do to encourage your colony while they get through this initial phase. Patience really is the key when starting a colony, try to disturb / stress them as little as possible.

I recommend thoroughly reading the link that I posted above as it gives some great insight into the species you have captured.

All the best,
Liam
Thanks man!