Tetramorium caespitum In Texas

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

UnusualPetOwner

Tetramorium caespitum In Texas

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 am

Hey everyone. I'm new to the amazing world of ant keeping and I've fallen in love with pavement ants. I want to catch a queen and start my own colony but I'm not sure if pavement ants are in Texas, more specifically Houston. I've looked online and can't find a definitive answer. If someone could clear it up for me, that'd be great! Thanks in advance!

SpeciesK

Re: Tetramorium caespitum In Texas

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:04 am

Hey, that's a good question, I kinda thought they were everywhere in the world now, but I guess no one actually told me that. I have seen what I think are pavement ants around here so I would think Texas would have lots of them. On the other hand, I thought my Good Ants were Tetramorium and suddenly found out they are Pheidole when major ants came out of the dirt in their bucket... :oops:

Batspiderfish

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 am

I've seen one record from the Dallas-Ft.Worth area, but that's it.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cale3459

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:08 pm

antmaps.org only has two species of Tetramorium listed in Texas. Not saying that is a definitive answer just a resource you can use to determine ants in your area.

UnusualPetOwner

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Oh that's awesome there's a map! Thanks! It didn't appear when I searched for types of ants in texas

Batspiderfish

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Remember that antmaps.org only features native ants in its diversity view. Tetramorium caespitum is pretty naturalized in North America, but they came from Eurasia. At least you might have a shot at one of our native Tetramorium sp. They look quite different.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Nathant

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Feels interesting to have someone from the South/West wanting ants located in the East. It is always the other way around usually since everyone thinks our New England ants are "boring." :P

I feel honored actually :lol:

idahoantgirl

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Nathant wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:09 pm
Feels interesting to have someone from the South/West wanting ants located in the East. It is always the other way around usually since everyone thinks our New England ants are "boring." :P

I feel honored actually :lol:
In case you're interested, I keep a 200 worker strong tetramorium colony. Here is my journal

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1173
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile