i need help with hybrid nest small

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

alexjames

i need help with hybrid nest small

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:50 pm

I got a new AntsCanada Hybrid Nest small but the large tubing wont fit. I even tried soaking it in hot water but it still wont fit. I cant use small tubing because the kind of ants I'm planning on keeping are carpenter ants. I got an instruction booklet for the all you need hybrid gear pack. the part that is about how to connect tubing to the nest only says. Connect large tubing, small tubing or test tubes directly to any of the four provided ports. plug unused ports with cotton to prevent ants from escaping. I need help.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: i need help with hybrid nest small

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 am

Hi alexjames,
The tubing is meant to be a tight fit into the Hybrid Nest to avoid accidental dislocation. That being said, if it is still not going in, you can cut a small triangular notch in one end of the tubing, using two angled cuts with a razor blade or other sharp edge. The notch doesn't need to be any deeper than 1/8 inch (3mm) or so, and roughly the same width across the edge of the tubing. So something like a 3mm x 3mm x 3mm triangle.

This will allow the tubing to bend/fold a bit right at the notch and help you get it inserted into the Hybrid Nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Cale3459

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:25 am

I'm also keeping carpenter ants in my hybrid nest and I know the struggle of trying to get the tubing in. One trick that I have found works really well is if you have a test tube adapter to work the tube into it and leave it for a day or two. The tube then crushes down a bit and goes into the hybrid nest easier.

alexjames

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.